Monday, July 11, 2005

The Spoiler


On the El
Originally uploaded by steakbellie.
I stand in the train car with my sunglasses on. You dont know if I am staring out the window or watching you in the reflection, criticizing your choice of footwear. (Please refrain from wearing the blue socks with the tan shoes again)

You see me with the headphones. Am I listening to some proto-punk download or do I bob my head subtly to mask that I have paused the music to eaves-drop on your conversation about Talapia and White-Fish.

The Stainless Steel Car is filling up and there is only one seat left. Old Women are standing, people with children are standing, and yet there is still one seat left. Someone is keeping two seats for themselves, it's time for action. I am the spoiler.

Today it's a gang banger. He's in his twenties and his tattoos, street dress and profanty laced words have scared people from sitting with him. He's half laying accross the seat to further prevent anyone from getting a seat. He scowls at me as I jam my ass into his side. 'Oh, Excuse Me' I say in my whitest voice.

He's pissed off that I'm not afraid of him, and trys to slowly drive me off the seat with his hip. I have the tenacity of a kindergartener and I push back and keep constant pressure on him. I up the ante by pulling out a newspaper and reading, as if I dont know even know he's there. We're both determined to be uncomfortable, but I do it for the greater good and my big ass is going nowhere. I am the Spoiler.

He gets off 2 stops later and mutters some curses he half wants me to hear. I keep reading my paper.....

No comments: