Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Maybe I should skip a few issues

I LOVE reading tabloid magazines. It's a funny thing for a 34 year-old married father of three boys to be doing. I'm planning an article explaining my strange obsession, but it's not ready. A funny thing happened this weekend that put a spotlight on my past-time.

A couple that were are very close with came over for drinks, which turned into dinner. Their sons blend with mine like brothers, so the kids were out of the house and cruising the block like a wolf-pack.

We sat at the dining room table dicussing everything loudly, and somebody mentions the show 'Friends'. Those of you who know me, know of my decades long hatred of that show and of all actors involved. The subject matter changes to Angelina Jolie and all of us saying how hot she is.

This launches me into an alcohol fueled analysis of the American Cult of Personality and Stars lending their names to a cause and how unique it is that she has committed true time and reasources to her position as UN High Commissioner for Refugees, and I cite all kinds of details of her meeting with the President Musharif of Pakistan, Secretary of State Condoleeza Rice, as well a long list of war zones and refugee camps that she actually ahows up at in the middle of hell....yet all the tabloids show are photos of her on the red carpet and speculation of her love affairs.

I was obviously impressed and impassioned as I went on about this unlikely scenereo when I realized the erie silence I had created. I know WAAAAY too much about Angelina Jolie. I shut myself up and the subject quickly changed....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

But, the fact of the matter is that she is completle unqualified to have that position regardless of what she makes of it once she got it. It is something...I'm not sure what...that she takes it remotely seriously (I suppose it slides in somewhere between Mr. & Mrs. Smith and TombRaider). However, the only reason she got it in the first place was because of her success in a completely unrelated field thats has zero crossover in skills, knowledge or purpose.

Shes an actress. She plays make belive for a living. We need to stop manufacturing icons that represent public opinion and start actually having an opinion. We need to stop making millionares out of morons so that we can live vicariously through thier fictional heroic actions and actually act heroicly.

I hate celebritys.

steakbellie said...

my favorite example was always to say that "Arnold Schwartzenegger doesnt actually kick down walls to save people....he just pretends to"....of course now he has a real job so it doesnt entirely apply.

I completely hate celbrities too and will all be explained soon when I blog about why I read tabloids....