Wednesday, July 20, 2005

cry baby


Daddy gave the baby a Mohawk
Originally uploaded by steakbellie.
Having kids really broadened me, emotionally. I cried when each of them was born, and for the first few years I cried over stupid little things that they did. I had to stop watching the show ER, because they'd let bad things happen to kids, and I found that more stressfull than entertaining.

I think I've hardened alot over the last couple of years though, I dont think I cry once a year even. It's not that I dont want to cry, sometimes I cant even though I would like to.

The last time I remember crying was probably at my Dad's 60th Birthday Party a few years ago. It was at a really nice restaurant and all of my Aunts and Uncles were there. I wrote a speech, and got up to say something and started to sob after the first sentence and I had to sit down. It was supposed to be a funny speech!!! I even quoted Mark Twain!!!!

I pretty sure crying should be a natural regular thing, like taking a dump or laughing. I wonder what mechanisms stop it from happening?

2 comments:

d.K. said...

I wonder what mechanisms stop it from happening

Cultural conditioning of men in America. I work with a lot of men from Latin America and despite the "macho" reputation, they'll cry openly at the drop of a hat, especially Brazilians. Sometimes the slightest kind gesture will bring tears to their eyes. It's actually very sweet, and so is your post.

steakbellie said...

wow, thats really cool. i wish i could just release all this tension that easily....