Tuesday, July 19, 2005

spin


spin
Originally uploaded by steakbellie.
They found Kurt Cobains body the day after my first son was born. I was a fan, but had other things to worry about at that time.

About a year ago I told my son how I was holding all 8lbs of him in the Hospital watching the coverage on TV. I told him about what was going musically before Nirvana's 'Nevermind' came out and how it sounded so much different than all of the recycled Classic Rock that we were being force fed at the time. I told him that it would happen again and popular music would take a new direction, leaving the old behind.

I actually remember the first time I heard 'Smell's Like Teen Spirit', some football player had a cassette tape copy of it in the gym I was working out at during my junior year of college...he said 'you GOTTA hear this!!!'

So my boy has built a connection to Cobain through their death/birth dates...perhaps he even is Kurt Cobain recycled. We were at the Ocean City Boardwalk the other night and they have this ride that has tons of lights and you ride the Carts in a circle backwards for a minute and then forwards for a minute. They blast music, and flash the lights, teen kids love it. The variation on this ride is that they now have the jukebox controlling it right in front of the ride. It cost me a dollar for one song. As the ride started up and my 3 sons were whipped around scrolled past 'Thats what I call Music 18' and I punched in
4212
then
01
The grunge guitars thundered out of the speakers, and from the blur that I call 'Son Number 1' I heard...."YEAH!!!!!"
Rock On


No comments: