Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Bring the Hammer Down

I've been distracted, worried and unconfident about today. Today I get my promotion. Whats been bothering me is that it's not going to be received well by several people. Mostly it's because yesterday I worked for them, tomorrow they work for me. I can understand and anticipate the angst that comes from that.

One guy in particular doesnt like me. He didnt like me BEFORE he met me. I've been sweet as pie to him and I've determined that he doesnt WANT to like me.

Over the weekend I've thought very hard about my situation. This is a fantastic opportunity for me, and it's mine to blow. I'm an embarrassment to all of those who deserved more but got less, if I allow things like this ruin this opportunity for my family. I've done worse to myself than anyone in this building could ever do to me.

I've prepared myself and written a Business Plan to create some excitment, structure, and goals for the team. I've rehearshed my words, and in an hour I will speak them like I am describing the promised land.

I've been given a pile of rocks. I will either break them or they will break themselves upon me. Either way they get broken.......

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Here's my advice. Momentary Leadership is easy. Sustained Leadership is another matter entirely. Pace yourself.