Thursday, June 30, 2005

Never been done before

Until Tuesday night I had never been to a movie alone. The biggest reason is that since High School I havent been alone for more than a handful of days. Less than 2 weeks in fact...this is since 1989. Isnt that crazy?

Whats crazier is what happens every time I am alone. I get shitfaced drunk completely by accident.

Here's how the accident happens. The wife and kids go to my inlaws or something for the night. I have to work so I stay home. Most people decide to take it easy and enjoy the silence. I get it in my head that I'm going to get things done, I'm going to complete one or two unfinnished projects, and then get some decent sleep for once. So my head starts to think and thats where it all ends.

I start whatever project I have planned. Things go great for about a half an hour, then I have to get something in the basement. I see the laundry pile, and figure it would be nice for my wife to come back to less laundry. It'll be easy, I'll just pop acouple loads in, and it will get done at the same time I'm working! Dragging clean clothes upstairs and dirty ones down, I pick up some stray, cups and plates and figure I should get the dishwasher going too. I get the dishwasher half empty when I realize I could have my computer downloading music at the same time all of this is happening.

I grab a beer when I pass the fridge, I'm going to be at the computer for abit, so I take an extra. I get on the computer and check mail and start queing things for download, when I realize that the suns going down and I should probably cut the grass. That would be nice to come home to, but I've got to keep the other systems going so I do another load of laundry and pile the clean stuff on my bed to be folded and put away later. I have another beer and get the front lawn cut. I come in and check on my downloads and do another load.

I'm getting hungry so I decide to make dinner. What does a guy all alone want to eat? Steak!!! I get the charcoal grill fired up and while thats getting hot and the songs are downloading and the clothes are washing and drying, I remember that I should finnish my intial project that has tools spread out all over the goddamned place. I'm talking to the dogs, and they bark back at me, they dont like when the kids are gone. I should get another beer, I mean I am alone and should be able to enjoy it!

At this point I'm moments away from throwing it all away and firing up the PlayStation til 2 or 3am at which point I set the alarm for 6 and pass out face down in an enourmous pile of clean laundry with 2 80lbs dogs and at least one cat sleeping on top of me.

As you can imagine, the state of the house does not go over well when my wife gets home, while I'm at work.

So Tuesday night, I decided I would do everyone a favor and go see Batman instead....

4 comments:

Smelmooo said...

This pretty much happened to me last night...minus the animals on top of me... I at least got him into his crate.

steakbellie said...

I think the next time maybe she should put ME in the crate...(Assuming I can take the beer with me) I'm pretty much a danger to myself and to the environment when I am cut loose of my responsibilities.....

Anonymous said...

I do pretty much the same thing. Except skip the work and pets. For some reason, I use my alone time to "organize". I obsessively restructure everything and then get drunk.

steakbellie said...

lol, I keep thinking "effieciency"..look I'm getting 8 things done at once! But I succumb to "Mission Creep" and wind up taking on so much more than I could possibly do. At that point it's easy to just give up and drink!