Friday, June 17, 2005

The ipod killed the Radio Star


Since I got my ipod, I no longer listen to the radio. I'm a huge Howard Stern fan, but I've only listen to him a couple of times in the last 6 months. I still like him, but I'm infatuated with this little thing. Here's what it means for commerce....I'm not going to buy a Satellite Radio.

Now here's a funny thing and I wonder how it will effect culture. I have very little idea whats on the radio now. I have a vast MP3 collection and I randomly draw from that for music. I used to have favorite songs on the radio, now all of my current favorites are at least a decade old! What if all of the culture goes that way? What if we dont have to depend on some schmuck at the raidio station to tell us whats worth being played? How will this effect bands in the future? Maybe the good stuff will get emailed around the most?

My Favorite songs right now are:
A live version of Pearl Jam signing "Sitting on the dock of a bay" Find it and download it...it's awesome. It reminds me of my death. I listen to it over and over.

Social Distortion singing 'Dont think Twice'

Every Def Tones song from 'Around the Fur'

Johnny Cash singing Soundgardens 'Rusty Cage'

Bruce Springsteen 'Promised Land'

A couple Fiona Apple songs (did they ever find her body?)

No comments: