Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Crikey!!!!

A six year old neighbor said "I'm glad he's dead, he used to stick his head in Aligator Mouths...what did you think would happen???" And my first thought was 'The Emperor Has No Clothes!!!'

but the reality is I'm really sad this guy died. surprisingly sad. I remember sitting on the coach in college watching him late at night when I was trying to outlast the spins. He was freaking crazy, but entertaining and very educational...most of all the guy was ALIVE in all senses of the word. I always felt like he honestly cared about all the creatures he showed us, and that he knew that by being a showman, he could teach us all a thing or two before we even realized it.

Maybe it was a good way for him to go though.
Sucks getting old....

2 comments:

katrocket said...

I had mixed feelings about this. Of course, it's a sad story, especially for his young family. And I do agree that he entertained and educated millions with a passion uncommon in his rivals. But he also pissed off a lot of God's creatures. I often took offense to his arrogance in their presence: "I am always in complete control around these animals". That's not smart zoology.

But I bet he was the life of any party. He'll be missed.

And good for you, opening up about sitting on your coach. I won't ask for details, but that took guts, man. ;-)

steakbellie said...

I always thought that it was ok if he pissed off some animals because the better he educated the public, the less likely we'd create yet another generation of species killer.

I believe that the Dolphin was saved from tuna nets by little girls who also liked rainbows.

I know the guy did incredibly dangerous stupid stuff, but I think we all just assumed he was incincible after awhile....so yeah, It does feel like a surprise that he's dead.

I think what really made a difference is that people LIKED him. Plenty of people do stupid stuff: Steve O., Paris Hilton, Me...but nobody really likes those people. The Croc Hunter just had a personality that was to be admired.

Can you imagine the kind of shit this guy brought into the bedroom?!?

Kat- The coach comment was a fruedian slip and should be ignored. These are not the droids you are looking for.