Thursday, September 21, 2006

Beware the Burger of Damocles


I am always suspicious of success. Not other peoples success, just my own.

Training for the Krystals Burger competition is going better than I expected. Alot better. Could I REALLY be doing that well, or have I completely screwed up assuming that the White Castles I'm using are somewhat compatible in size and speed.

With the Nathans competition, I was able to assemble everything I needed for 'Game-Day' style training. I'm 1,000 miles from the nearest Krystal Burger joint, and I wont have my first one until I am called up to take my place at the table end. (they place the best eaters in the center, and the best looking on the ends) What if they're completely different, and I totally blow it after talking so goddamned hopefully? Am I too brazen to ponder if the trophy is a 'carry-on item' or do I have to check it at the flight counter?

There will be other eaters there that have eaten Krystals before, and even onces that have competed in them. I'm jealous that they have the knowledge I want. The assurance of knowing their surroundings.

I also dont know everyone who will be competing. The top five eaters in the world have already qualified, but that leaves plenty of room for lots of good eaters to show up.

Cant I just be cautiously optimistic for once?

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Assume the worst. Assume White Castles are half the size and go down twice as fast. Adjust accordingly.

katrocket said...

Is Birdy shitting on your parade again? ha!

He's got a good point actually, but perhaps you've just discovered the food you eat best? Just focus on what you DO know (fact: you can pound back sliders alongside the best in the world) and forget about all the info you don't have access to.

You still have a week - have you got any friends in Krystal states that would Fed Ex you a burger?

Anonymous said...

Ha!

Seriously though, have someone ziplock a few burgers and FedEx them! I mean, it's sort of absurd then again maybe eating 40 or 50 of them is equally absurd.

Erik "the Red" Denmark said...

Hey Steakbellie. Don't let the doubt seep in man. Practicing with the food is a good way to guage an approximate number but really it is more about formulating a strategy and being comfortable with the food. Don't worry about the size of White Castles versus Krystals, they are close enough for your psyche not to notice. My last practice of warmed frozen White Castles was 32 and I had never had a Krystal either. I like your style so I'll root for your success.

steakbellie said...

Kat & Birdy: I cant think of anybody I know well enough to take the time to pack them up with ice and ship'em. It's a week from Sunday!

Erik" Thanks for the good info. That seems pretty close to your performance in the qualifier, so that settles my heart abit. It would be a very good day for me to match your numbers

...and good luck breaking the Shrimp record. That sounds like an awesome opportunity! See you at the table sometime (Hopefully the Krystal Finals!)

katrocket said...

I would gladly mail you burgers, SB, except a) we don't have Krystal burgers in Canada and b) I'm terribly lazy and unreliable - just ask Birdy. I have been meaning to send him a poster he did for the Partistes AGES ago and still haven't gotten around to it. (It's in my studio, B - come and get it!)

If the folks at Krystal had any business sense whatsoever, they would open a damn restaurant in Philly. With all you PA eaters in training, they could have made a killing this month.

steakbellie said...

mail me Birdy's poster and I'll eat that instead....

tell me about it, those white castles work out to $1 apiece! I could just flush the cash down the toilet and cut out the middle man!

Anonymous said...

Or what if White Castles are slightly HARDER to eat than Krystals and you end up downing 40 in Memphis? You never know.

steakbellie said...

Wild Bill,
Thanks for the detailed info, this is a great example of how helpful and welcoming the CE community is.

My training partner and I have already eaten 2 stores completely out of White Castles and we'll go searching for some cheap ones this weekend when we do a long run.