Monday, September 18, 2006

almost serious

Birdy made a comment in the earlier post:

So when are you going to stop treating each event like a unique little thing and just admit you're a pro and train all the time? Stop fucking around. Pro football players don't just sit on thier ass and wait until each single game to start thinking about what to do, right? Play to win!

My reply is long enough to be a post on it's own. I actually do train all the time. I dont post about it, because it would turn this into a 100% Competitive Eating website. Now I dont train nearly as hard as I do when I have a contest in mind, but I try to keep from losing any ground in jaw-strength and stomach capacity.

My bigger issue is that I cant afford to compete more than once a month. My time as a father and husband is extrememly limited, as many of you know first hand. Many of the better eaters toady are young 20-something men who arent tied down to a family or career, and can jet accross county for one or two contests a weekend. These guys are at an advantage that they can keep their bodies in a high consumption phase without needing much training during the week.

As far as being 'Pro' I'll reserve that distinction for when I finally win money for plaing in a contest. It may be a large carboard check for $25, but I will post it here so very proudly when that day comes.

There are some contests that I take more seriouly than others...and this one I'm pretty serious about and willing to make myself very uncomfortable during training for. I am expecting alot from myself on October 1.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

for you

steakbellie said...

Aaron, thats awesome, and a HAIKU toboot!!!!

Anonymous said...

Fantastic response. Here's my question, and it may just give you the edge you need. Can you wear a diaper and can you train you ass in addition to your mouth so that you can bypass digestion in order to increase capacity?

steakbellie said...

Couldnt you have just written me a haiku too?

Most Eaters use their mouths, but thinking creatively can lead to unexpected new techniques. I imagine this would better a better technique for some foods than others.

I'll give it a go and let you know how things are....can I train at your place in NYC?

steakbellie said...

Well that just shows you where my mind is...in my ass.

Typically, I'll starve myself on the day of the contest, just to be sure that I have no matter in the stomach or upper intestines. A short contest like 8 or 12 minutes doesnt allow any digestion to take place before the end. Essentially it's a test of how much your stomach can stretch in a short time period(although some contests severly test your jaws strength or ability to swallow.)

Longer contests like some of these Monster Burgers that have a 3 hour time limit, DO involves that, and I've pondered several times on which parts of the meal should be consumed first to take advantage of different speeds of digestion.

I dont forsee any contest where the contents will fall right through you, but lets wait and see.

steakbellie said...

The Japanese do several longform contests that this might come into play....

In general I'd like to avoid taking a dump in my shorts.

Chris the Hippie said...

I always wondered why you wear a kilt...

Anonymous said...

You compete because you represent both your klan as well as the PA Competitive Eating Klan.

Anonymous said...

Long live the PA Eating Klan!

steakbellie said...

PA Eaters Unite!

Anonymous said...

UEPA
United Eaters of Pennsylvania!

If any group
a challenge shoule fall
it be we.

Anonymous said...

some haiku...

a challenge should fall

Unknown said...

PA will rise to the top, like cream