Thursday, September 08, 2005

Why we care

DK pointed out in the comments of the previous post that he believes it's in the nature of most Americans to want to help. I think he's correct. Almost everyone (except for a small person named 'w') has been humbled by life at least once. That 3am phone call, that intersection, that poor choice of hair colorant.

I once lost 2 cars, my furnace, my air conditioning, and all of my houses ductwork to a flood that was bad enough to be declared a Federal Disaster. The Red Cross is the real-deal as they were on the scene within hours for those families that lost much more.

I was naive enough to believe that my home insurance covered the losses. I still have no idea what home insurance actually does cover.

The experience gave me a great sesitivity to people in natural disasters. I was so fortunate in that I still had a house, a job and access to clean water and food. It probably took me 5 years to financially recover...and think how bad these people have it!!!!

It was my family, my friends and a generous employer that pulled me out of it. I was able to borrow enough money from my boss to buy sheet metal and fabricate a new duct system at nights after work. The sheet metal guy was kind enough to explain air handling dynamics, and My parents helped get the furnace and ac fixed. I took it in the ass on the cars.

For years I couldnt sleep when it rained...

It's an honor to give something back...it's American

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't screw with the Bird-man.

steakbellie said...

i'm laughing so hard I have tears in my eyes...thankyou Birdy......