Monday, September 26, 2005

Logic Schmogic

Went to a baby dedication this weekend. It was at one of these non-denominational/charismatic/hand-waving churches that are held in office-like rooms with power-point slides, and a rock and roll band. Even when I was very spiritual, these types of churches made me uncomfortable....but this weekend, I was a guest at their church so I'm not gonna give them a hard time.

The pastor said the most amazing thing though. He said during the message that the direct cause of Social Security not having enough money was because of abortion. His point was that had all those babies been born the ratio of workers to retirees wouldnt be 5-1 (instead of like 14-1 when SS started)

What he failed to point out was that the ratio had been falling for 40 years before Abortion was made legal, and the retirement age had remained the same while people are living 15-20 years longer than they did when SS was invented. Many more of them live to qualify, and the ones that qualify live and collect for a much longer period.

I was right in the front, and I wanted to raise my hand and point that out soooo badly. I had to sit on my hands and not clap with the music or anything for the rest of the service.

No comments: