Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Because we all look alike

I work in an office building. In order to enter the building you have to show your building security card. I'm not so important that I expect someone to remember me, but whenever I dont feel like whipping my wallet out to show my id to the same guard that I just said 'hi' to on my way out, he stops me and asks for id.

Whats funny is that of about 10 security staff I've seen, 9 are black. I've NEVER seen them ask any black office workers for id, and when I walk in to the elevator banks with my black co-workers, I'm the one that gets singled out to show id every time!

I wonder if I truly do look like the other white Schmo's in suits, if it's a passive-aggressive revenge thing, or just a courtesy from one black man to another

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I dunno. I recognize people I see on the friggen bus or subway in New York City with, even if it's just as a "Hey, thats the guy I ride the bus with" sort of recognition. I think if it's your job to monitor the comings and goings of people then you should at least be more observant than that.

Plus you're an outlandish racist. You know, because you're white and you mentioned black people.

steakbellie said...

Some of my best friends are black people

steakbellie said...

Thats completely not true but it's one of the most interesting things a white person can say...typically it's followed by the worst thing you've heard in a long time...

steakbellie said...

I've thought about it quite abit and I'm pretty certain that they recognize me. I can accept that it's their job to verify that we have a pass, but when it's only applied by race it's stupid.

I've seen them let black temps in that they couldnt possibly know!

d.K. said...

Birdy's right. If you're white, your not supposed to mention that some other people are black. It's just wrong, for some reason. Weird.