Wednesday, September 21, 2005

The Nazi Hunter

When I was a kid I had very little adversity in my life. Other than being lonely and having to dodge shoes thrown from my sister, I had it pretty good upon comparison to everyone I've met since. (except mamybe Birdy, that guy had it EZ!!!)

Things like the Bible, the Constitution, Jesus and the Founding Fathers all had equal weight in my heart. In fact to me, I didnt have much distinction between them. They made the rules and I was a good boy who followed them.

I took the "All Men Are Created Equally" to mean something completely different than what was intentioned. I thought that it meant that the sum of every person was identical. What I lacked in athleticism was balanced by my abilities in science. A girl with bad teeth might be blessed with talent for drawing Unicorns. Isnt that cute? What a neat little view of life!

As adults, I'm noticing that people do a similar thing. They assume that everything will be balanced out in the afterlife. Some CEO runs a company into the ground, stealing millions, ruining billions. Thousands of working families are hurt in the process. The CEO gets 5 or 6 years in jail. What do people say? 'He'll pay for his sins in the afterlife!' Maybe it's just a mechanism they use not to get too upset about things that they cant control.

Somebody who didnt buy all that Bullshit? Simon Wiesenthal who died this week. He hunted Nazi's the worldover for half a Century. Even when these guys were in their Ninties and nobody wanted to waste the energy to prosecute them, Wisenthal chased them down. He probably didnt have any faith that God would even the score later on!

How cool is it to be called a 'Nazi Hunter'!!!

6 comments:

Carmen said...

I like the site. Check out this one based in Philly:

http://liberalmalcontents.blogspot.com/

Seems like we have a lot in common. Nice story about your boy asking about you dying. I had almost the exact same conversation with my 6 year old.

This is the link to a couple of other stories, writing from me.

http://carmsandi.blogspot.com/

Let me know what you think.

d.K. said...

Notwithstanding the Old Testament being full of evidence of a seriously vengeful God, I believe that Jews don't believe in Hell. So, ya gets ya just desserts here. The guy was driven, and not forgiving is what gave his life meaning after the horrors of the concentration camp.

The best book I've ever read, ever, is called, "Man's Search for Meaning," by Viktor Frankl, also a Holocaust survivor who's approach was to try to find meaning in the horrors that befell him and his people. Two very different approaches to giving one a profound sense of purpose.

steakbellie said...

Impenetrable: interesting reading! I'll be back more to check it out!

DK: I'm going to go out and buy that book on your recommendation! I'm reading 'The Time Travelers Wife' right now, and I'll need something soon. I always pay attention when people mention their favorite book of all time!

d.K. said...

Steakbellie,
I'm sure you'll love it. Dr. Frankl wrote a follow up, with a similar name, but it was very disappointing. He was a shrink, and the second book was directed to other psychiatrists, I think, so it was technical/medical/etc. So be sure you pick up "Man's Search for Meaning." I look forward to your reaction - I don't think you'll be disappointed.

P.S. That's also my favorite way to find about about great books - word of mouth.

It's the "Last Call" said...

I love your thought about "all men created equal" as a kid. amazing how we take things literally as children. I used to wonder if my parents disappeared when I left the room. I thought they might be a figment.

steakbellie said...

maybe they are!