Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Hope for the future

This Labor day weekend I saw something reassuring and inspiring. Kids accross my town had setup 'Lemonade' type stands and sold drinks or cookies to raise money for the Red Cross. My own kids teamed up with 2 other families and went to the dollar store. They bought a case of bamboo plants and a case of little plastic vases. They bought poster paper.

They assembled the plants and took turns standing on the street corner with signs directing traffic. They sold everything they made and made $130 for the Red Cross on top of what they spent. (I think they spent $5 on Lemonade from some girls up the street, but the money will get there...I mean hey...chicks)

1.The kids of America get it, they know people are suffering and can have sympathy for their situation. They WANT to help.
2. Kids arent boxed in by their singularity or smallness compared to the problem. Adults say 'What will my dollar do? What will my VOTE do?' Kids see a need and react within their spheres of infulence. Something we all should be doing....

No comments: