Friday, January 13, 2006

The Persistance of SRV(F)

Years ago when I tried to drink all that water, I sent out an email documenting it. Apparently my friend SRV(F) is so well cataloged that he still has the email seven years later!!! What else lurks in his IN box?!?!?....plus check out how cool my Dad is!!!


"The Water Report 1

7:08am EST October 15, 1998

Today is the big day. We recently got one of those neat water coolers at work with the big clear water jug on top. Today I am going to drink all five gallons myself.
--------

The Water Report 2

9:38am EST October 15, 1998

I am no longer thirsty. So far i have drunk at least a gallon, maybe two. I noticed i have to pee alot. The water I am enjoying is "Keystone Natural Water" from somewhere in Pennsylvania. The lable says they have been in business since 1907. I think I'm gonna take an hour off and give myself a chance to adjust.
--------

The Water Report 3

1:14pm EST October 15, 1998

After serious analysis of the water cooler I have determined that i have already consumed 1.5 gallons today. I'm totally satiated. I was very disappointed with the realization that I am incapable of drinking 5 gallons of water in a workday, until my dad sent me this fabulous email:

'.......For rough estimates it is 8.3 pounds per gallon. At standard temperature and pressure it is 8.345. You have one pint of blood for every 13 pounds of body weight. Blood is mostly water, thus a 200 pound person has 15.6 pints of blood (200/13 = 15.6) which is equivalent to 1.9 gallons (8 pints in a gallon; 15.6/8 = 1.9 gallons) or approximately 2 gallons x 8.3 = 16.6 pounds of blood. You have added an equivalent amount of water equal to your blood level and added 16 pounds to your temporary body weight. Amazing.'

Now i don't feel so bad. My wife thinks I'd kill myself if I drank it all. But then again, she thinks I'm crazy. But how crazy could i be?... I just drank 12.5 pounds of water!!!!"

That was almost 6 years ago, Steakbellie.
You still crazy after all these years...
sF

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this. I love that you tried it. I love the tone of the email. I love your dad. I love that my husband still has the email.

You know, there is a condition that can result from drinking too much water - I think it's called water intoxication ... it's a lot like drowning yourself.

Why does that make me laugh?

Anonymous said...

You should see the stuff I have on Birdy...
SRV(F)

steakbellie said...

look it's not THAT big a deal, we were drunk, freshmen, and roomates....it's the kind of thing that....oh wait, are we talking about the same thing?

steakbellie said...

well apparently I have some recurring themes running through my life...food athleticism seems to be one of them....

and i get a kick out of the last line, cause it's still exaactly how I'd react today..'you cant call me crazy, I just drank 12.5 lbs of water!'

Flamingos & Flip Flops said...

Imagine doing that today--on top of your oatmeal feast!

steakbellie said...

Theoatmeal would continue to expand with all that water, and it would get pretty darn uncomfortable. I know this because I usually drink a bunch of water right after all the oatmeal...just not THAT much water.

I'm pretty sure I could beat the 1.5 gallon mark, and it's likely I'll try it sometime after the wing contest. Preferably I wont do it at work this time.