Thursday, October 13, 2005

I'm a dog people

I love dogs. I have two big ones.
When I worked for myself for 3 years, they were the only people I had to talk to during the day, so we became very good at communicating with each other.

When I am mad at them I show my teeth, or do a low growl and they are groveling on the floor. Without thinking, I've growled at my children and once even at some nasty lady on the train.

Mostly I am happy with them and they like to lay nexto, on or around me.

We have a neighbor with two dogs as well. They are nice people but we never really hit it off, and I think maybe some of it was their feelings about how we keep our dogs.

Five years ago these neighbors had no children. They would come home from work, to their perfectly kept house, and take their dogs for long walks with special leashes that grab around the torso so not to choke them. They dearly loved these dogs and bought them expensive scientifically formulated dog foods. One of the dogs got cancer, and I was really heartbroken about it. They spent thousands and thousands of dollars, getting radiation treatments and chemotherapy...its all out of pocket. The dog survived and is still around today.

My dogs dont get enough excercise, I dont walk them enough, but they do go and run and wrestle each other in the back yard. I feel bad that they dont get walked enough, and I'd always feel worse with a thinly disguised comment from these people on the occassion I did walk them. The reality is that I have too much going on in my life and my dogs get shafted on the walks.

Over the next two years I watched them walk these dogs twice a day...every day...every weather. Then they had a baby. I've NEVER seen them walk them again in the last three years!!!! Not Once! HA!!!!

2 comments:

steakbellie said...

THATS classic. I hissed at people before too. It's very effective in making them never speak to you again....and it's always such a knee-jerk reaction like when that chick got in your face...

Anonymous said...

ok, I'm a freak about dogs. I've grown so disenchanted with people that I found myself upset over all the pets during the last 2 hurricanes.

All I know is- i've never had to produce a dogs picture into a news format for air because he/she raped their young.