Monday, December 18, 2006

Kettlebells will fuck your shit up.


I took a beginner Kettlebells class last Monday at my Gym. The owner of the gym asked me why I wanted to try it.

"Because it looks hard"
"Thats a strange answer"
"uhhhh...."

Kettlebells are metal weights with a handle. They have you do various repetitive movements while holding said bells. It's Aerobics with weights. It was invented by the Russians in the 17th Century to get their soldiers strong. Many of the people in the class take Karate or are Ninjas in their spare time. Some of the movements and poses are similar to Pilates or Yoga. I am good at none of those things.

I have been lifting weights pretty regulary since summer, so you wouldnt expect too much trouble adapting. My ass hurt for 5 days.

I took the beginner class again today, and I can already feel this weeks dose of pain climbing my ass into my lower back. Hopefully it will only hurt for 4 days this week.....

7 comments:

gerberdaisy said...

Birdy- i just spit out my drink in laughter! Funny. By the way Christmas card good stuff, thanks!

steakbellie said...

HEAR! HEAR!

Anonymous said...

"Because it's hard" - I LOVE that! One time The Wife and I were in the gym and somebody went to go use some kettlebells tucked away in the corner. The trainer whom they belonged too quite unprofesionally yelled at the guy "THOSE ARE MINE! YOU CAN'T USE THEM!!" Wife and I looked at each other in disbelief -- what was the guy going to do? Break them?

steakbellie said...

My numbers go up every week lifting weights, but despite all the carefully kept records, rotation of workouts and dedication, I still look like crap.

Whenever I see the Kettlebell classes let out, the people are drenched and limping. It just looks so very hard that I had to try it. It might be the only chance I have to make a difference in this body.

Please Dont feed the Bear or touch his Kettlebells.

steakbellie said...

'watching the diet'
yeah well thats easier said than done, I've already changed all of my training foods over the the healthiest options I can think of.

Cardio, is the only thing I can add....ughh....

Wendy said...

I lift, but not those things! CRAZY!
BTW, happy birthday - sorry I missed it!

ArtieLange said...

I think you used a split infinitive in your title.