Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Dont worry about Dad

I put my wife on a plane this morning for a week of Vegas with her friends. She works very hard at a highly emotional-stressful job, and then has to come home to me and my halflings, so you can damn well bet that she deserves to enjoy herself.

She is funny though....

She spent the last few weeks organizing all of the local Moms to look out for me and my rabid brood whilst she was away. She made sure there was coverage for every possible non-school moment. Every practice, every game, every concert.

Years ago I probably would have been alittle offended by this, but now I can accept her help organizing the week without her. I realize that Moms the world round have a hard time relinquishing control of the household to a man. It's not that we do things wrong, we just do them different.

"I made all of your dinners til Friday and packed them up and labeled them by day"
"Wow, Thanks, you didnt have to do that" I say
"Thank God, Dad would probably have just cooked us eggs" says Son Number 1

And that may be true. It might not. I can cook and usually handle the cooking for Thanksgiving....I'm just not known for my smaller domestic everyday meals.

In my twenties I would regularly get stopped in the baby aisle by older women in their thirties. They saw me with a blonde baby in one arm and pushing the cart with the other and immediatley assumed I was lost. Like the babies Mom MUST be hospitalized, because this poor man is doing the baby food shopping.
A Mom: "Do you need help?"
Steakbellie: "No, I'm fine thankyou"
A Mom: "He's adorable, is he your first" (damn certain he was)
Steakbellie: "No, actually he's my third"
A Mom: "Oh...."
Steakbellie: "Can I get through?"
None of them ever offered to help the young Moms though. I'd see them struggle down the aisle and that pissed me off.

So today begins our mini-adventure. We'll make it, but just MY way....

2 comments:

Steve Caratzas said...

Enjoy a guys-only week.

Just be sure to get rid of the cigar butts and racing forms before she returns!

Wendy said...

Enjoy. When I leave town, my hub calls it guy time. (We have 3 boys.) And while I do organize a bit like your wife, I know they'll be fine! When I come home, they say they sat around scratching themselves mostly! Enjoy your time :)