Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Island Swim


Island Swim
Originally uploaded by steakbellie.
The competition in the Steakbellie household can be fierce. My sons gauge each other by who is older, who's taller, who has more trophys, wins, A's, and money. They fight over who the Dog will come to when called. They fight over who can eat the most Hot Sauce. My wife and I are very aware of these contests and try to minimize them without completely stiffling it. We want them to be able to cheer for each other.

My sons listened to my father brag about how I had swam the 1.25 miles from the island in the middle of Lake Pleasant to the campsite when I was only 12. Almost everyone in the clan has done it but not that young.

My 11 year old decided he would attempt it this year. My Dad and I took him out to the Island in a rowboat and then acted as his 'spotter'. There was a strong wind and current that day, and to my fathers surprise the boy did it...probably swam more than 1.5 miles with all of the extra swimming from the side current.

Upon reaching the shore breathless, the 9 year old announces that he will do it the next day, and he will do it faster. I spend the night telling him what a big effort it will take just to complete the swim and that he should focus on finishing not beating. The current is less tough when he attempts it and by some wonderful grace, he duplicates the time down to the minute....60 Minutes. Nobody at the camp ever heard of a 9 year old making the swim.

Upon reaching the shore breathless, the 6 year old announces that he will do it the next day. I had to do some serious soul searching on this one and chose not to let him. He's an excellent swimmer, but I'm not sure that I want to set him up for failure....he's unhappy about it but will have to wait till next year to try....at age 7


4 comments:

d.K. said...

Steakbellie,
What a sweet story. I have an older and a younger brother and my poor kid brother thought he had to accomplish everything my brother and I did growing up - which were very different things. He's still the most driven, but I could see him in the 'ready and willingness' of your six year old to try so hard to keep up. It's a tough spot for a boy. Maybe next year he'll break everyone's record :)

steakbellie said...

it must be inherant in boys...they turn everything into a competition and comparison. dk's point about the youngest is true here. He is so extremely driven, that he forgets his age and does what his older brother do.

i do worry about the damage from being overcompetitive...I want them to enjoy life too. (i also dont like it because I always came in last too sangroncito...and that really sucked)

Anonymous said...

It's totally different with all sisters. It becomes you and Dad against the world.

steakbellie said...

for me I had an older sister who used to beat the crap out of me, and a brother six years younger....thusly I hate noone to relate/compete with.