Thursday, August 18, 2005

"Because thats what you wanted to do..."

A year ago I was reflecting with my Parents about how everything turned out. How we got to where we are in life...and I asked them something that had been bothering me.

When I was in High School I was in a special medical sciences program. It taught me that I didnt want to be a Doctor. It also gave me access to sciences classes that no-one else could take. Classes on Research Methodology, College Level Biology Chemistry Physics, Ethics Courses...great stuff.

Logically, I enrolled in Art School. I was going to be a painter. My parents paid my way.

Steakbellie: "Why the HELL did you let me do that?"
Dad: "Because thats what you wanted to do"
Steakbellie: (aghast)"I thought you guys were Republicans?!?!"
Mom: "I dont know....are you hungry?

Now, I dont regret how thing turned out. I'm honored that they let me make my own mistakes. They thought I had 'a good head on my shoulders' and would figure it out. They were willing to invest thousands into my dream...thats impressive.

Ironically I forbid my own children from studing art as a major...for several reasons.
1.It's a great way to ruin something you enjoy. The commercial art is about pleasing other people. Very few of us get to do exactly what you want. Better to keep it as a part of your personal life.
2.It's a brutal occupation to break into. 'Talent' is only part of what you need to make it. Most of what you need is 'Gumption'. The only people from my graduating class who made it are: Birdy, SRV(F), JuneBug and me. I've seen the other people at UPS or waitressing in Atlantic City.
3. I figure if they are willing to go against me, they might have enough hunger give it a serious shot.

If they HAD to study the arts? then I'd give them some awesome advice. Go get a Business Degree...while enrolled for that degree take as many art classes as you can. Minor in it if they let you. The Business degree will teach you about the Business of Art which I found out the hard way is so much different than doing art. Someday, 10 years down the line, you're gonna wanna move up the ladder wherever you landed (Ad Agency?). They're gonna promote the guy with the Business Degree who can also draw.

Here's another reason: No one has EVER asked to see my diploma. Not once in 15 years. They only want to see what I can do...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My dad told me to get a business degree.
I decided I was going to go into "art" - illustration even. i'd do this wonderful "freelance" thing, sit around with long hair, play music loudly, work when i felt like it, and live the good life.
He said "you'll only make like $15k a year."
I thought to myself, I don't care, I'm DOING it.
12 years later, adjusted for inflation, he's about right.

Somehow the good life doesn't seem so good anymore.

I liked your comment about working at Home Depot. I made a promise to myself that when I turn 40, I'm going to become a heavy machinery operator. Bulldozer, front end loader, Bobcat, whatever. Nothing is better than moving dirt around with big tractors. 40 is right around the corner. Can i give up this good life/career for that?

I got a job offer to be a right-hand man
to a construction handyman yesterday.
We're thinking about it - if we can afford to have me leave this life for another. To make a total life change.

No one's EVER asked to see my diploma, cared about my GPA, or worried about how much experience I had/have. All they want is the book. Which in turn is all I ever care about when I've interviewed people. That, and do they know the programs.

To top it off, in my eyes all the Account Service people seem to live the jet set life, get promoted, move up the company ladder, are successful. The creatives? They burn out, in-fight, and change jobs every 1-2 years. You HAVE to - somehow, somewhere out there is that good life.

Give that bulldozer driver a second glance next time you see his mullet and American Flag do-rag - that's you in 5-10 years, finally figuring it out.

steakbellie said...

that's a dead on assement of the Creative Art field. You either move-up(if you can) Move-out, but everybody burns out.

Judging from the other responses through comments and emails, I am clearly not alone when it comes to my yearning to dump this computer/business life, and do something with my hands. It just feels right.

I'm scared to actually make the jump. All of my skills are self/Dad taught and I wonder if anybody would hire me. I wonder if I could even come close to replacing this income.

You are courageous just considering it in earnest. I feel trapped....