Wednesday, August 24, 2005

A Change of Heart


football
Originally uploaded by steakbellie.
The Steakbellie's have not been playing football for a very long time. In fact it can be said that 'We've always not played Football' I was not allowed to play nor was my Father. Thousands and thousands of generations didnt play, all the way back to Steakbellie Erectus(Beavis Laughs).

My Grandfather once answered the front door to find the High School Football Coach begging for some of the 4 sons to be allowed to play. (all of them 6'2"-6'6")

No.

It's such an easy word to say.

No.

I adore the sport, but too many of my friends have permanent damage from it. Sure you can get hurt walking down the street, but you're ahell of alot more likely to get hurt running into each other from 6pm to 8pm 5 nights a week. Crack Crack Crack.

I did something I didnt want to do. I gave in. My 11 year old has been asking me for 4 years. Sitting on my doorstep, begging. Maybe I got tired of saying 'no'. Maybe it was time he makes some mistakes on his own. He knows how I feel about it, and he never complains when he comes home with bruises, and I dont say 'I told you so' when I put the ice on him. He's got only seven years before he's cut loose on his own, and i gotta loosen the grip enough so that he's ready...

I'm very proud of how they are playing (I let all three join), but I'd be happier if they decided on their own not to come back next year....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you did the right thing here. Let 'em experience it first-hand for a bit. I must say it is pretty rough, and if they ever want to talk to someone who played it all and has some regrets, bring them by the station one night and i'll let them feel my shattered shoulder crackle and pop.

If they don't dig it, give them an alternative (but gently, and save their dignity).

steakbellie said...

Junebug it's you!
I love you!

I think they were surprised at how tough it is. "This is harder than wrestling practice" is what I heard alot the first week.

They seem to really like hitting though....