Tuesday, May 03, 2005

You Are A Cog.: Higher Education

You Are A Cog.: Higher Education
Here's a very interesting post by Birdy. The most interesting part is actually my comments to it.
:)
So it's got me thinking. I studied commercial art in college and have made a career of 13 years out of it. I took many many classes that taught me skills, but the lessons I learned there failed me. The lessons that taught me the most were actually from 'Fine Art' teachers. I now realize it has more to do with the teachers themselves.

The following three men were at the end of their teaching careers or at least in the back half when I was there. They knew nothing of computers or photoshop and I remember one of them scoffing at the idea that the computer could be a tool of art. Regardless, it is, and he taught me the concepts I use on it.

Dr Chard: This was an easy going laid back man who Birdy called "Arrow Beard". Not laid back in a hippie way but reserved and quiet like a farmer. Despite his simple appearance he was a hugely successful painter in NYC. He taught drawing and painting but what I learned from him was how to see. Look at whats in front of you instead of what you think you see in front of you. It's a harder conceot than you think. If I were to place a soda can in front of you and told you to draw it, you would look at the soda can for the first few minutes of drawing, and then rely on your mental picture of a soda can to finnish the drawing. You must continue to observe the can as it really is. Drawing is Seeing.

The other big thing I learned from Dr Chard didnt sink in for 5 years after college. Craft. You must be consistant in your drive and skills and attention. You must use the same care throughout the process of creation. Show respect for the piece you are working on and for the people who will later view it. He once got on me for relying too heavily on 'happy accidents' in my work. I was loose with my craft and my control and unexpected things would happen. I kept the good ones. I was hurt by his comments and years later discovered they were true.

Dr Tishler: This man was feared. He was a short stocky man who rarely said anything and it was never nice when he did. In my mind he is Talousse Latrec without the limp. He taught painting and in my case, humility. We would show up to class and paint for 6 hours a week (in most art classes, they were six hours a week for only 3 credits) and he wouldnt say much. Once in awhile he would have everyone put their artwork on the wall so we could all critique it. It was like Simon Cowell on American Idol when he opened his mouth. Many many times he would tell someone (someone who chose to MAJOR in art mind you) that they had no business being in art, and that the best thing they could do would be to immediatley drop out. Can you imagine how devastating it must be to hear that? It was true too. What seemed cruel was probably the best advice these people ever got (all of it unheeded of course) The real world would later prove to be much crueller to these people. He saw it as his own responsibility to tell them. He should be awarded a medal. He rarely said anything about my work, but told me at graduation. "I'm a fan of your painting" (literly that was the entire conversation) It made me regret not painting more in college.

Dr Appelson: The guy who taught me the most did it in one semester. I had him for 'Print Making' which is about the farthest you could get from what I now do. He demanded hard work and most people hated him. He was infamous for tearing up drawings done by freshman in front of them (alot to be learned there). By chance there were many in that class who wanted to work, and work hard. I got up early and went to work in his studio when I didnt have class. He gave me a key and I would show up at night and work. I wasnt alone either. We put our pieces on the wall and talked about them...listened. About the surface and of things much much deeper. I learned teamwork. I learned integrity.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok, first of all, your feedback is not more interesting than the post. It only exists but for the post!

Second, I found this about Dr. Chard

And third, I too think that everything I learned in college I learned from three sources: Herb Appelson, Jeff Otto and hard work with my peers (usually in one of those two professors classes).

steakbellie said...

Chard wrote acouple of books too. I found them once on a late night google-fest. (by the way you google better than an A-List celebrity, you're like the first 3 PAGES and none of it is posted by you!)

I shouldnt leave Jeff Otto out. He was probably the only guy that was willing to pass on some real world knowledge. He also treated us well and didnt act like a total dick. Actually he may be the only one who had real world knowledge of how to get things done. Jeff was about functionality and getting it done. Carmine and Nancy were so specialized that they couldnt see the whole picture. That Dave guy with the beard was too busy banging and failing the students to really care.

Still, it was amazing how unprepared we were. Shocking even, considering it's nearly a Trade, and should be taught as such.

steakbellie said...

think of my feedback like "The Empire Strikes Back" it only exists because of Star Wars. Star Wars was great, but Empire....