Wednesday, May 25, 2005

grandpa


grandpa
Originally uploaded by steakbellie.
Here's a photo of my paternal Grandfather taken in the late 60's He died about when I was 3. So I just found out he only had 9 fingers! He lost his right ring finger as a teen when it got torn off by an aerator/seeder machine on the family farm. This is excting for me because now I realize that I have an actual memory of him. I can remember sitting on an old guys lap and him asking me to count to ten on his fingers. You know how us three year olds are always doing that. I can remember not getting ten and getting upset that I messed up. The old guy would laugh and then tell me to try again. This went on over and over again.

I always attributed that memory to my Great Grandfather on my Mothers side who lost an arm when he got run over by a train...but now I'm certain it wasnt him...I knew he was missing an arm.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are decended from the haphazard.

steakbellie said...

They were men who rolled up their sleeves (or sleeve) and worked. Survivors (who no longer survive). Sure we may be missing things like arms and fingers and manners, but I know it's much more comforting than for those that are a 'son of a thousand fathers'

Anonymous said...

He's the grandson of a thousand fathers - or something like that. He's exactly what happens when your grandmother was a prostitute, I suppose.

Me, I'm the stubborn, opinionated, leftist philosophical type thats decended from ex-soldiers, bikers, factory workers and casual criminals. What do you expected when you mix Italians and Germans in America?

steakbellie said...

You expect to eat a good meal, have a few drinks, and yell at each other alot.