Monday, May 16, 2005

Lunch at the Teriyaki-Boy


teriyaki boy
Originally uploaded by steakbellie.

I step in off the street into the small all glass corner restaurant. It's a 'Teryaki-Boy' which is a sort of Fast-Foodish attempt at sushi. It's apparent immediatley that I'm in the wrong neighborhood. I've crossed the threshold into the world of the Lepushians. Tiny Asians girls scurry behind the counter, there's a few sleight college girls in line. Of the 15 people here, not one is over 100lbs

A co-ed waif who is barely five feet tall looks up at my suddenly gigantic 6'1" frame and scowls. She's pretty sure I've eaten red meat in the last 24 hours. What she doesnt know is that I cooked it myself on an open bar-b-que. Charcoal Briquets and a half gallon of lighter fluid. I smile back at her.

My I-Pod is serving up classic Judas Priest. "Breakin' the Law...Breakin' the Law" I am a 78' Trans Am with the T-Tops open. I'm King-Kong with an F-16 in one hand. I'm John Henry busting through the side of a mountain.

The little people scatter and now I'm at the front of the line. A few more have come into the restaurant but they're waiting several feet behind me.

I lean forward over the girl working the register. She leans back onto her heels and holds a breath.
"I'll take the Carnation Sushi Platter Please"

No comments: