Tuesday, May 10, 2005

Failure of Leadership


building
Originally uploaded by steakbellie.
Two big omissions of communication happened on Friday. I find each of them very damaging to a business realationship.
1. It was our Business Manager's Last Day. The thing was, I didnt know until she was on her way out the door. She had been there a year (3 months more than me) and was the 5th person in that position in 3 years. I understand that the others were a complete mess. This girl was very organized, and was doing an excellent job. She left for a better opportunity that will give her more time with her young kids. The problem isnt that she left. The problem is that nobody was told she was leaving despite her 2 weeks notice, and she was asked not to say anything. Most people still dont know that she's gone, and just think her office is dark because she's away on a business trip. Not even an email saying she no longer works here.....I found this Management decision disturbing.

2. The Rush Job. I understand the rush job better than anyone in this building. My career has been based on my ability to handle pressure better than the next guy and to find the quickest path through the woods when the Boogey man is coming for you. I know how to prioritize, how to delegate and what corners can be cut. I prefer alittle pressure, and sometimes I actually enjoy a four alarm emergency.

That being said, if you KNOW about something...like say....an all day work session the saturday before Mothers Day, It's probably good Management Policy to tell everyone that's involved as soon as you can. This way they can clear their schedules, make appropriate plans, or even prepare.

I found out about this meeting at 3pm on Friday right after someone whispered to me the Business Manager was leaving. The meeting had been arranged 2 weeks earlier. I could have bucked the system and refused to come in, but the the project I'm working on now is tied directly to my job. This is a job I plan to win big on.

My brother and I had planned a small party for my Mom that day, it was her birthday and Motherday combined...I had to cancel...and she was heartbroken but gracious as always...this was a direct disrepect of my time. I choose not to forgive it.

Can you hear those alarm bells ringing?


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice background sample on the images. Avoids the box. Clean.

steakbellie said...

Yeah, I tried a few times with more solid images, and this was just the next step in that.

It screws up my Flickr account though because it doesnt fit in with the other photos. I enjoy writing in the blog but I think the Flickr is more important to me as there is a better community of people willing to share content, ideas and encouragment.