Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Kiss Me, I Taste Like Chicken

The training is finished. I've eaten my last meal until the contest.

All of the pieces are falling into place. The float still needs some attention, but is 90% there. I cant describe it for you yet, because I want it to be a surprise on Friday. It is brilliant in it's simplicity and execution, and was proposed by my 10 year old son. All of that sounds great, until you know what it is......

Physically I feel ok. Many people in the area have contracted stomach flu this week and I'm doing all I can not to get sick. I have come to far for that to happen.

Interesting Fact 1: At 230lbs, I am the lightest of the 20 Philadelphia Eaters

Interesting Fact 2: At 230lbs, I am heavier than any of the 5 'Pro' Eaters

Interesting Fact 3: At 230lbs, I am heaviest I have ever been, yet my pants still fit! Last time I hit 230lbs I wasnt that lucky. Must have put on some muscle somewhere along the line and not just fat. Looking forward to being skinny again though.

Mentally I'm ready for this to happen, it's been such a long road, I am ready to arrive and perform. I'm really tired of practicing, and my stomach is sore. Certainly I love to eat, but for a short time I look forward to smaller more managable portions.

Thursday night, at 4pm I will go to Chickie & Petes (Philly Sports Bar) for the weigh in. All of the Eaters will be there and we will be filmed and on the radio. All of the strippers will be there as well (clothed). Bar patrons will eat chicken wings and swig beer as I look on longingly. Each Eater will be brought out and weighed on a huge butchers scale in front of the crowd. They always have a newbie go first, and they tell him he must weigh-in in his underwear. Curious if he'll fall for it.

It's a great chance to get to know the other eaters. Most of them are great guys who might be having as much fun as me. All 5 'pro's' will be there as well, and I already know what wonderful people they are. My kids will be at the weigh-in too, and it's a chance for them to get photos with their favorites. In particular my ten year old would like to get Badlands Booker to autograph his cds. Badlands is retired but may show up to the contest I understand.

Afterwards I will put the finishing touches on all arraingements and welcome the many friends who will be crashing at the Steakbellie home. At 2:30am I will awake from my half-slumber and put on my kilt. By 3:00 am 40 people will have gathered in my dining room, and I will give them nasty looks as they laugh and begin drinking alcohol. The yellow school bus we've hired will take us to the Wachovia Center at that point and the smells of breakfast sandwhiches and bloody marys will be everywhere. I will stare out the back window and wonder what the hell I'm doing.

At 3:30am pull into an already full parking lot and make our way through the crowds. My team has been issued all access passes, but experience says that we will still have trouble getting in. Once the float is loaded onto the rear dock, my Team of 10 will join me in the locker rooms as the remaining 30 friends drink and party on the bus til 6am.

Underneath is a brewing storm of nerves and excitment. The eaters are quiet and smile out of the sides of their mouths. The friends of the eaters, yell and skip and try to get their photos taken with 'Wingettes' of various states of dress.

We're underground for about 4hours waiting for the Contest to begin. In the stadium fans are alight from a binge of all night drinking. Many of them dont care what happens. Everyone is screaming and stomping feet, and it rolls like thunder down the concrete into the basement. I will still quietly and pretend to smile at my joyous friends. I am so happy for them, this is such a great opportunity to act like a boy again.

The producers will line us up in order. Each Float is released into the stadium one at a time as the announces describe it all for the listening audience. Hockey glass protects (somewhat) the procession from the violently exhuberant crowd. Busty girls will reveal themselves at minute intertvals for the fans delight.

When our turn comes, my brother will begin playing the bagpipes deep within the hallways. It's nearly painful how loud it is, but so moving to hear. I love that he will play for me and it stirs so many emotions. It's funny to think about, but people in generations past would actually go to war like this. Friends, family and neighbors on all sides. A brother playing the bagpipes. Lots of Plaid.

We march slowly to the mouth of the stadium, in step to the music, pulling our Float behind us.....I'm waiting for my chance...it's coming....

16 comments:

Chris the Hippie said...

It's all so very way cool.

Anonymous said...

You're 230 lbs now?
Maybe you might want to think of a salad competition next. :)

Wendy said...

It does sound exciting!
Good luck - my clan will be cheering for you!

Dave S. said...

I can smell the beer and vomit and wings already! I can't wait. I'll be yelling for you and I'll see you at McFaddens afterward!

Good luck man!

Dave S. said...

*Rocky theme playing*

24 hours from now you'll be in the middle of a mob scene and they'll all be screaming your name. Fuck, it's going to AWESOME!

Unknown said...

Wish I could be there!

Please, Steakbellie, bestow upon us the honor of your presence at Denny's on the 24th. I just have to hear the story of Wing Bowl 15 first hand.

GOOD LUCK, my friend.... and remember..... clear your mouth!

ArtieLange said...

I just went to Harrah's Chester and put $10K on you, Steakbellie. My one gripe is you didn't do more to raise your odds. Now everyone knows your greatness the money is flowing your way. In fact the odds at the betting parlor are 1-100, meaning I have to put down a hundred to win a buck.

Hope you are having a relaxing day.

katrocket said...

Hey, no one said anything about drinking on school buses. I'm coming down to Philly for this thing next year, armed with a kilt, a cooler, and a t-shirt bazooka gun.

Stop at nothing to win that car.

Anonymous said...

If he wins the car, he should be required to drive it and visit every single one of his various supporters!

Chris the Hippie said...

A capital idea, Mr. Birdy! (If he drives all the way to western Iowa, I'm gonna have him sign my boob.)

d.K. said...

knock 'em out!

SkippyMom said...

Wow Steak, I can't believe it is here.

We are all rooting you on - I wish the SkipFamily could be there and if hadn't have been for what happened over Christmas I can almost guarantee we would be.

We will be thinking/praying! for you - Gerber - and the boys [Gerber hang in there girlie!]

...and if it makes a diff...there are real live McGlones rooting for you here in VA!

HUGS - you will rock!

SkippyMom said...

Oh and I SO agree with Birdy's suggestion that you have to visit your supporters.

Gerber better be riding shotgun tho'

HEE!

SkippyMom said...

-uh, but Gerber signs the boob thing, kay Chris in Iowa EXCELLENT IDEA]...I'm not crossing her.

Or you can hold SKH hand and do it...

but yeah...kay...it's late....lol

GO STEAK GO!

[sorry - but how many times in a life does a woman get to yell those words nominally?]

Chris the Hippie said...

I've been "liveblogging" this, listening to it on the radio all morning, typing away. I'll update my blog just as soon as the event is over (another few minutes, they're counting bones right now). http://www.radloffs.net, click on "Thoughts".

Anonymous said...

I left a comment yesterday, but it has disappeared! Anyway, I love this entry and hope you did well. Can't wait to hear about it.