Monday, January 15, 2007

TCB

My head is nearly full.

Another trainride to work, and I watch the other riders and count sylables to see if I can turn that experience into a Haiku. Usually 2 or 3 per day to come to the surface. Most never stay afloat long enough for me to record them. I wonder where they go?

I used to get painting like that. Whole finished paintings would come to me and ask to be made. I could see their dimensions, color, texture, and imagery. Its a long scary process, making a painting, and not the kind of thing that happens in one sitting. There are materials to buy and gather, drawings to make, colors to mix. Time too, lots of time to do it, let it dry, and do more. It's easy to lose the momentum and drop the whole thing. Life just got too busy and they stopped coming by so often, because word had gotten out what the answer would be. I still see them sometimes though.

The computer helped with alot of these images. It cut down on the need for material preparation, and drying time. (I miss the smell of Paint Thinner though, thats a wonderful smell) I can set so many of these free, but even now as the years go by, it's easy to find other things to fill my time. I'm sorry, I cant make you right now, go see somebody else.

I like the Haikus though. I can work on them anywhere, and if I can remember them for a few hours, they can be written and released. Forgotten. Sort of like a fisherman who catches fish, records their length and throws them back.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You need to carry a pen and a piece of paper like Eminem in Eight Mile. Then you could write your haikus down whenever they come to mind. Unless you were SCUBA diving, or something...

Plus you'd be immitating Eminem, which is always a good idea.

steakbellie said...

word.

Dave S. said...

Or get one of those REALLY COOL voice recorders that I saw in that commercial on TV. Those people in that commercial looked so cool because they were organized and never forgot ANYTHING. I wish that were me.

Anonymous said...

Remember that sawdust cleaning bin we used? That was the best.