Friday, February 02, 2007

WINGBOWL!

This WingBowl may have had the most controversy than any other WingBowl

FORTUNATLEY
I wasnt involved in any of it. I ate in the Sixties for the first round, which got me into the second round last year, but not this year. I happy with my level of cleaning, but was hoping to crack seventy. I have capacity and room for another 60 in the second round at the same speed, but just didnt earn the chance.

Humble Bob (5th in the world) was directly next to me and was subject to the same high level of scrutiny as me, from our judge. He beat me by almost a plate (20 wings) yet magically did not appear in the top 10.

The Locust (2nd place overall last year) and Chip Simpson (a wing champion of other contests) was to the right of him. I dont know their exact numbers but was pretty shocked that they didnt make second round.

Two local eaters somehow broke the first round record.

I had alot of support here, from ALOT of great people. I really had quite a great time. I'm disappointed with my own results but not terribly. I'm more angry for my friends. More details to follow....it was big...real big....

7 comments:

katrocket said...

It was an fun show, Steakbellie! I listened to the action on WIP's website, swapping e-mails with the Radloff to fill me in on the parts I missed while commuting to work.

And that in itself is pretty freakin cool. Not only did you have a blast, but you brought people together from Toronto, Iowa, Jersey, NYC, and other places to celebrate friendship over wings for a few hours this morning. Right on!

I was really shocked with the results too, but it was a very exciting contest. The hub-bub with Sonya's "cleaning" was pretty amusing. When they announced the top 10 from round 1, I actually stood up at my desk in the middle of my office and yelled "Aaaaaaaaah!!!!"

Everyone steered clear of me all day, and that was kinda nice.

Dave S. said...

I was there bro and it was awesome and shocking how many great eaters didn't clear the first round. Sorry we didn't make it to the afterparty. YEah, we're wuss bags.

Can't wait to read more of your thoughts on WB15. I'll have a post and pics tomorrow too.

ArtieLange said...

You rock, Steak! Thanks for proving us with so much enjoyment. A lot of us are living vicariously through your actions and we couldn't be more proud.

Chris the Hippie said...

I just wanna see pictures! I listened to it on the silly radio (blogging about it the whole time, mind you), but having the imagination of your average marmoset I had a hard time picturing the event... I've seen a phew photos phlying Philly sites, but I wanna see more...

All the people at work asked how you did. It's fun to see how the enthusiasm spread. Iowa cares, man. Iowa cares.

Query: Why don't they go by the pound instead of counting individual wings? Take the weight of the plate, subtract the weight of the leftover bones at the end, and viola! you know how much an eater et. Wouldn't that take the guesswork out of "clean" wings?

Anonymous said...

Steak,

Thanks for showing me a how to party in Phili post contest. The bus, the beer, everything. It was the most fun I've had after a contest in quite some time. Next year is going to kick ass. Maybe some spacedocking will go down next year, it's hard to do when you get really intoxicated though.


-pat bertoletti

Dan said...

Congrats on the impressive entrance (Cupid definitely got some laughs from our section) and just for making it to The Big Show. I'm confident you'll do even better should you choose to enter next year.

I posted a bucnh of pics to FlickR and you can check 'em out from The Hungover Gourmet blog.

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to see a good pic of the float! Awesome job.