Thursday, March 09, 2006

update

My Dad is home and safe. His titanium hip is back in, and he has to take it easy for 6 weeks. He doesnt have much pain now.

Couple more details from the incident:

My Dad was pinned for 3 Hours before the Rangers were able to get him free. He described it as the most pain he's ever been in, and kept hoping to pass out.

If you are medivac'ed by the State Police, and it's a true emergency, it's free!

The prop-wash from the rescue copter was so powerful it knocked my mom over!

When you are basket-rescued off the top of a mountain, it's VERY cold....sooo cold your tears FREEZE to your face as fast as you can cry them!

He hung outside of the helicopter the entire ride!

In the XRAY, The hip bone was FOUR INCHES away from the Socket!

In the end, my family was really fortunate. Shock kills more people than injuries do, and there's nothing like tremdous pain to bring on shock.

This story would have ended very differently had my Dad not been so prepared. He has excellent cold weather gear that he wears, and had four chemical heat packs the Rangers put under his armpits to keep him from getting Hypothermia.

I think my mom might have taken some photos on her camera phone...I'm gonna try to get them!

3 comments:

It's the "Last Call" said...

Oh my gawsh I bet you're so relieved. I would be. Glad to know your dad's okay.

I find it interesting you describe your parents as adventurers now they're older. My parents have finally slowed down and are not pursuing all their previous risky behavior. I suddenly don't know who they are anymore.

katrocket said...

Phew - a close one. Thanks for the update - great news SB.

Wishing Daddy-O a speedy recovery...

Chris the Hippie said...

Dude - I hope your Pop has an easy recovery!