Saturday, March 18, 2006

something to talk about

Here's a DEAD ON article on biking accross the United States. It's something that changed my life, and something I talked about alot for acouple of years after. I stopped talking about it ten years ago, mostly because of two things.
1. People who dont bike cant relate to it or understand the feat
2. People who bike dont believe me when I tell them I did it
So, pretty much everyone I've met in the last 10 years has no idea.

I've always fantasized that I would write a book about the trip to detail some of the stories, and maybe that will start here someday. I feal safe talking about it here I guess, and i think maybe that should start to come out....

The article brought back some funny memories, the wonderful people you meet along the way, the SHOCKINGLY beautiful country that exists outside of New Jersey, The intense lonilness and self-pity, the montrous joy of achievement

Thanks Sammy.....

10 comments:

katrocket said...

wow! bring it on, SB!
this, I gotta hear.

Chris the Hippie said...

Hell, I thought that sounded like a lot of fun until I realized that by "bike" you mean "bicycle." As in, "two wheels, NO ENGINE."

Oh.

I'm not sure I could make it across town on a bicycle any more.

What was it like? Where did you go? Are you really from New Jersey? I always thought New Jersey was an urban myth... :-)

It's the "Last Call" said...

HOLEY MOLEY that is the coolest thing ever. I didn't know that about you. I really hope you decide to write about it, I'd love to read it!

Anonymous said...

1. I believe in feats of endurance.
2. I believe you did it.
3. I just got sick to fuck of hearing about it.

"Yeah, yeah...you biked across the country. We're out of toilet paper, you know."

:)

steakbellie said...

you're just jealous because you could never beat me in the 'corn race'

steakbellie said...

I'm gonna try to put something together in broad terms about the experience as a whole. Maybe once I get that down it will be easier to pick out some of the cool little stories embedded within

Anonymous said...

I tell the wife about it all the time - "You know, after college Steakbellie biked across the WHOLE country!" I even have the school paper article. i'll scan it in and you can post it. I think, in recent context of Daddy Steakbellie's achievements, and your Wing Bowl, flag football championship, etc. etc. etc. it's all making sense.
Godspeed Steakbellie, godspeed!!

SRF

steakbellie said...

do you REALLY have the Whit article?!? That would be so awesome if you could scan it. We got intervied all accross the country, and I have some of those but for some reason I dont think I have that one!

Anonymous said...

i'll find it and scan it. i was (and am, unlike a certain ex-roommate) very proud of you and luckily, never got "sick to fuck" of hearing about it. Birdy just didn't like Herman James and his propaganda newspaper :)
SRF

steakbellie said...

that would be soooo great...i want to start preserving some of this stuff for the kids.
thanks!!!