Friday, February 10, 2006

The Olympics Suck


olympic_rings
Originally uploaded by steakbellie.
I dont mean the competitions or most of the athletes. I love to watch these people who put off EVERYTHING else for years for a singular goal. What I really mean is that:

The Official Candy Bar of the Olympics, Sucks

The 'Coverage' of the games, Sucks. I hate when they try to force interest and create stories that were never there....to poke into these peoples backgrounds to find something controversial, or an angle with every goddamn person. This is not Angelina Jollie doing speed skating. It's a kid from Idaho....dont speculate on who he's dating.

I hate that the US fills it's roster with Professionals. I could give a Rats Ass about some Billionaire Basketball Player who has everything and now a gold metal. Big f'ing deal, go BUY one. I'd rather hear about the guy from Iowa who put off a big money contract for four years because he's an idealist and wanted to take on the world. I want to see this HUNGRY guy fight it out for 5th place. So what if some of the other countries send their Pros...SO WHAT?

We want to see the Underdog out there. Why? Because it's good for us to believe.....

2 comments:

katrocket said...

Amen to that.

I receive both U.S. & Canadian Olympic coverage and you'd be amazed at the differences. With exception of hockey players (who play for their own country with FAR greater passion and energy than they ever do with their NHL franchise), we don't have pros to send to the Games. We see the occasional vignette of athletes in training, interviews with coaches, and not much heart-string manipulation at all. "Personal profile" is a Canadian code-word for "change the channel". If you get the CBC, it might be a lot less annoying for ya. No gossip -- just sports.

steakbellie said...

sounds awesome

I cant bear to watch the coverage anymore because of the storylines they try to create. it's painful....