Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Something is afoot at the Hudson United Bank


TEN
Originally uploaded by steakbellie.
I just had a bizarre banking experience.

I had to cash a check drawn on an account at Hudson United Bank. Their website pointed me to the branch at 16th and Market. For those of you unfamiliar with Philly, it would be like an address in Times Square in NYC. Not that fun, but that Central to this city.

It's 10am and I try the door. It's locked, I notice a doorbell. A lone woman comes to the door and lets me in. She's the only person in bank...no employees, no customers. Everything else appears normal. Glass walls, loan desks, marble columns.
Just strangley empty for a center city bank.

The woman is friendly and moves through the secure door and behind the greenish bullet proof glass.
"Can I Help You?" she's very nice
"I just need to cash this check"

She looks at my check with some concern
"Are Tens and Fives OK?" she asks

"Uhhh.....I guess.....no hundreds? no twenties?" The check I gave her is for a few thousand. This is kinda weird, what bank doesnt have anything bigger than a $10?

The nice lady disappears into the vault for a few minutes and comes back with a huge stack of money. HUGE. None of it is bound with those little paper things that make you think it's been counted and certified in some way.

She starts making piles of money, counting and recounting. Each stack is about an inch high and finally gets one of those paper thingy to hold it together. I'm so amused I dont mind the inconvenience I'm going to have with this money. I feel like a bank robber when I'm shoving stack after stack in various pockets in my pants and the inside of my jacket. This rocks.

The whole process takes 15 minutes and not a single customer comes in...how do these guys stay in business?

2 comments:

Smelmooo said...

They invest in sanitation.

*wink* *wink*

steakbellie said...

ahhhhh......