Sunday, December 18, 2005

Pepper


pepper
Originally uploaded by steakbellie.
I just finished burying my cat in the backyard.

Although I am a dog person, and dont naturally gravitate to cats, I'm pretty upset. We've had him for six years and he was known all through the neighborhood. He was the only animal that I allowed to have food from the table....he'd sit next to me, and I'd give him chicken or spagetti from my own plate. The dogs were scared of him and would look with jealousy.

There's actually a wonderful story how he earned the right to be feed from the table, but i really dont want to tell it right now. Maybe this week will be a good time to talk about it.

Kel and the boys are a wreck and I feel horrible for them. Today was supposed to be a good family day, and the neighbor called just as we pulled into the Art Museum parking lot. They all helped me dig the hole. We all took turns weeping and digging, i think it's important that they boys be physically involved.

We burried him with a little container of spagetti. He used to put one end in his mouth and suck it in, like a little kid. I've really never seen a cat like this, we have another one that's just a normal cat.

There's a beautiful little girl, Aly, that is my neighbor that was in love with him. She dressed up as Pepper for Halloween. I feel so bad......She's four. Her dad brought her over to say a prayer at the stone I laid over his grave.

There are four or five families that used to let him in their house. He was a phenominal mouser. He brought back birds, moles, mice, and I even once saw him catch a squirrel (squirrel got away thank goodness). Of course the legendary story is the one about the night he caught the bat...........

:(

i miss him already.....

3 comments:

Wendy said...

I'm sorry for your loss.

steakbellie said...

doesnt this suck? these kids have been through so much this year....

Anonymous said...

Awful awful. I'm so sorry. As I've said before, the only cure for grief is grieving. Don't cheat yourself of that.