Sunday, December 04, 2005

the last to know


steakbellie
Originally uploaded by steakbellie.

i shut off the radio and keep my unfocused eyes on the horizon. i can feel the stares of the concerned motorists glaring at me as i pass them.

its so clear now that there were problems with the engine, building for a long time now. i heard the valves tapping months ago and could feel the engine shudder through the steering wheel. i once prided myself on my persistant maintenance, now my lack of diligence has lead to a real failure.

the white smoke coming out of the tailpipe is unmistakable, and i can see in my head what the exact problem is. there is a crack in the engine block and water and coolant are pouring into one or more of the engine cylanders. this car is having a heart attack, right now. half of the engine is burning, while the other half is drowning.

moments to minutes from now, the metal of the engine block will actually melt and in an instant, all of these rotating pieces will become a singular dirty chunk of steel and aluminum. the spinning wheels will attempt to force the now solidified crankshaft to turn. there will a thunderous sound as the transmission explodes into a thousand flying metal disks and literaly falls off the bottom of the car into the highway. i know too much, but idle knowledge hasnt helped me here.

i havent stopped the car yet, in fact i havent even slowed down to the speed limit. i know that once this car has stopped, it will have to be fixed. i will have to ask for help to get home. there will have to be a new plan, a new engine, or a new car

there is a sick curiosity that i must fight. i'm curious how far it will go.

the mile markers tick by

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just got that sick to my stomach, adrenaline-raised, anxiety shooting through the roof feeling. reminds me of the time i was driving from I-287 and over the Raritan Bridge. My Plymouth Horizon was missing the bushing that held the gear shifter onto the transmission, allowing it to shift gears. every once in awhile it would pop off, and i'd be left with no control over the car. i'm cruising the on ramp to the Parkway, accelerating up the bridge, ready to make that jump to hyperspace known as 4th gear when.... nothing. i have no way of getting my car to shift, i'm not in gear, and i'm going uphill during a rush hour. i'm watching the speedometer, i'm watching the rearview mirror for the 18-wheeler who is sure to run me over, i'm watching my life pass before my eyes. I was like Wile E. Coyote falling off the cliff, saying my prayers. i got down to about 10 mph when i saw the promised land - the crest of the bridge. slowly my car crawled over the top off the bridge and accelerated down the slope. i pulled over, re-engaed the gear shift, kissed terra-firma, thanked the good lord for answering my prayers, and drove home. i picked up that $3 part the next day.

my armpits are still sweaty from reading your story.
sF

It's the "Last Call" said...

I so dig that photo ;)

steakbellie said...

jesus i know that bridge, and i can feel my sphinker tighten envisioning that....good ol' Horizon....

steakbellie said...

thanks!