Wednesday, April 27, 2005

Talking to the Crazies

One of the advantages to Public Transportation is that you get exposed. People of every walk are jammed into a timecapsule that only opens every few minutes. During that time if there are any crazies onboard they will make themselves known as soon as the doors shut.

I love crazies. Most of them are harmless, and just have a need to speak. I say the crazy things I think on this blog, they speak them on the train. We all need an anonymous ear to hear us.

Yesterday, there was a guy talking in a preacher-like voice giving a sermon to the window. "When I say jump, you better say 'how high' on the way up!" You get some black power rants, some jesus rants, but mostly people cursing out some ghost in their past.

Typically, I follow the Prime Directive and just observe, not interact or disrupt. I'm usually smiling to myself, watching the crazy in one of the many reflectivve surfaces.

So on the Trolley this morning I sit next to a talker. Not necessarily a crazy, just someone who will strike up a conversation with you despite the fact you are reading AND have headphones on.

Now I have a friend who is a social genius. He could have a meaningful conversation with anyone. He stores an infinite amount of factoids about every occupation, every town, every social movement, historical event, sport, or hobby in his head. Within the first few sentences he's made a connection with a stranger, by mentioning something that is personal to them. They mention they are from Lincoln Nebraska, and he says "I hear the HotDogs from Woodys are the best anywhere" Bingo, he's mentioned a restaurant they used to go to as a kid, and opened up a big door. I've seen it happen a million times, and he always finds a way to make that connection, it's fascinating.

So today the talker is asking me about the lottery numbers and we have a small chitchat abouth that (I've decided to try to play this like my friend would) and then the guy blurts out that yesterday he went to LinVilla, So I've been to LinVilla Orchards, and I say "I love that place, they have the best Carmel Apples", he looks at me kind of funny says 'yeah' and doesnt say another word the rest of the ride.

That got me thinking about my friend. One time we spent about 6 hours watching the Penn Relays. We had great seats, but we were in the sun most of the day and got alittle sunburned. Afterwards we went to a bar that was nearby for one or nine beers.

We sit at the bar, a have acouple and are talking and goofing around. An old black guy leans into the bar to get a beer through the crowd. My buddy helps him get the bartenders attention. To be funny he starts talking in a 'Smokers Voice' all low and gravely, the kind of voice you dont want to say more than a couple of sentences in. He's using it exuberantley with big arm motions. This is all for my benefit, and it's pretty funny.....

My buddy starts up a conversation with this guy, not meaning to make a connection, just continuing it because he knows I'm laughing. Without even realizing it, my friend hooks the guy in, and he pulls up a chair.

I kick my buddy under the chair, I'm trying not to crack up, we both know he cant give up the voice now. He's committed.

We spend the next 4 hours talking to this guy and buying him beers. He's fascinating...he ran in the Penn Relays in High School, he fought in Vietnam and got screwed up in the head, he's been homeless, a junkie, and he's got HIV.

The entire time my buddy keeps the voice going. He's drinking more than normal because his throats on fire. It's cracking, but we're still here. We leave the bar. We take the old guy with us. He's from DC, so we take him to a great cheesesteak place and buy him a real Philly Cheesesteak.

Then we walk the old guy to the bus station and wait with him for his bus to arrive. My buddy is still talking in the voice. He's committed.

We put the old guy on his bus and laugh our asses off. Although I cant hear his laugh, he's lost his voice.

So I think about this memory on the train and actually laugh outloud....sitting alone, laughing...now I'm the crazy....

No comments: