Thursday, April 21, 2005

My Favorite Bible Verse


I once was a very religeous person, I had a very earnest search for answers, at an unlikely time of life. It is an experience that has flavored who I am and who I will be. There's one Bible passage that has stuck with me. It's Ephesians 6:12
"For we do not wrestle with flesh and blood, but against the principalities, against the powers, against the world rulers of this present darkness"

I like the choice of the word "wrestle". Wrestling involves using your arms, legs, even your face to out leverage an opponent. During the match it may not always be clear who is winning, being on top doesnt gaurentee anything, at any point you may loose your balance and be thrown. It's alot like life. You can prepare and be skillfull, but at anypoint be thrown down.

And lets look at who we're fighting. It's rarely "flesh and blood" of a single person, but against groups, against ideals, against trends. We fight against low sales, and poor school district performance. We fight against faceless enemies "Polluters" and the IRS.

We all have a different idea who these powers are, but apparently in the last 2,000 years since this book was written, we're still wrestling.

No comments: