Monday, April 25, 2005

The Boy who saved my life


Pounding a double
Originally uploaded by steakbellie.
This guy saved my life, and in a very real way. He did it as a baby, and just by showing up. I was a complete mess with no real plan of where to go or what to do...POW! Get your shit together Dad, because now everything counts, no more 'do-overs'.

So he's turned into a wonderful boy...just turned eleven, and he did a really cool thing a month ago that got me thinking about how crazy it is how kids turn out. I have three sons with my wife, and they are all so very different. I bet we could have 20 sons and none of them would be alike. Whats funny is who gets what from which parent...but let me get back to the point and save the kid comparisons for another Blog.

The Cool Thing: Those of you with pre-teens or older will see the coolness of this. My son read voraciously. He's usually reading 2 or three books at the same time. He gets them out of the school library, and is always on the lookout for a new series. So around Christmas Time I suggested that he should read a book called "The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy". It's an incredibly silly book that I read in grade school and have reread it a few time in my life.

So here's the thing, I mentioned it once, and said, you might like this. I didnt push or bring it up again. Months later he remembers it and gets ahold of a copy and starts to read it. On my recommendation!

He loves it and is reading the second book of the five part trilogy (dont ask). By cooincidence they annouced that a movie version is being released soon, and me and him have a date set up.

So bring home Monty Pythons 'Holy Grail' on DVD and we sit like total goofballs giggling all night at the movie.

They get big so fast, I feel so fortunate to make a connection like this. No arguments or fights, or tests of wills, just two goofballs enjoying our time together

No comments: