Thursday, November 30, 2006

My WingBowl 15 stunt has been accepted

Wednesday, December 6, 2006
Live in the studio: 8:30 am
WIP RADIO 610AM

2 Foot Wawa Hoagie:
Turkey
Cheese
Lettuce
Tomato

Half Gallon Lemonade

Small bag of chips

5 minutes 30 seconds

Last year I got in on the Gross factor eating 2lbs of Haggis in 2.5 minutes. While that stunt showed gumption, it was important that I do a stunt deserving of a pro this year. I chose the Wawa 2 ft Hoagie, because it's something that any person in Philly can go and pick up at anytime and it will be identical. Anyone who thinks they can beat me can just walk down the street and give it a try. It reproducable in identical conditions. The challenge is also in the different densities and textures which will make it tough to get into a rhythem.

I called in yesterday without the Lemonade and have been arguing will Al over this one. Angelo loved it, but Al wanted it in 4:30. I called in this morning and added the Lemonade and he still had a hard time with it. I did this stunt last weekend just to see and I have to say it will be at the very limit of my ability and volume to pull this off in that time. That roll is TWICE as wide as the standard Wawa roll and of course...it's two feet long.

Philly Legend, El Wingador was sitting in the studio to publicize his restaraunt, and he said it was a really good stunt. It took him and Angelo together to convince him that 5:30 would be a tough time to finnish in. I think when Al sees the Hoagie, he'll change his mind.

I feel that this is a legitmatly great stunt, and when I pull it off I will be deserving of being on that stage. I will also be worthy of some Axia 3 and a nap.

By not having any buffer time room for error though, I'm risking the whole reason I became a Competitive Eater, to compete again in WingBowl and Ultimately to win. For me it's alittle scarier than last year because this year of competing has given me great insight into what these Pros can really do.

I just cant count on Joey Chestnut having a bad day. Even if he does there are 5 other eaters of his caliber to take his place. I have to actually BEAT him. That is a stunning admission for me considering how much respect I have for what he can do. I have to be completely honest with myself from the beginning.

I have time, passion, support and I have a plan....will that be enough?

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good luck, Eric!

steakbellie said...

thanks wild Bill!
I hope to see you up there too!!!

Anonymous said...

Unfortunately, due to the Arbitron map of what exactly is WIP's listening area, I'm ineligible to compete or qualify (unless I cheat and say that I live at LadyLenore's house, which I do part of the time). So, the best I could do is either be part of your entourage, or watch the whole debacle on the news. I don't really think I want to fight my way in to be part of the crowd (if I can even get tickets). So, eat fast, to quote Bob "take small bites", and make sure you get up there!

katrocket said...

You're one crazy MuFu, SB

I agree with srg's comments -- you might be going above & beyond the entrance requirement, but you wouldn't set yourself up for failure now, would you? I have great faith in your talents. This stunt will blow people away. All the best!

steakbellie said...

i had no intention of doing an 'undoable stunt', I've already done this one at home. The guys who run this thing have been super hard on everybody this year and have cut my allowed time way down.

i'm going to be in the WingBowl

I dont have a backup plan.

Anonymous said...

Yeah! Can you have someone film it for us?

Anonymous said...

I agree, this needs to be filmed. For those of us without access to a Wawa, how does this hoagie stack up? What does it weigh? How many Subway subs is it equal to?

steakbellie said...

Unfortuntely my camera is busted, but I've asked two buddies who have a video and SLR to come document for me. Hopefully they can make it, then I will be happy to upload it to youtube

AC,
I'm doing a trial run tomorrow night and I'll try to weigh it and get various dimensions and post them!

Anonymous said...

All qualifiers will be recorded and put on Philly.com. As for a back up plan they have the wing 5 contest.

Anonymous said...

If you really need a video camera you can borrow mine. I'm pretty sure you're only like 10 min away from me.

steakbellie said...

i thought about it last year, but it would probably be better this year.

my friend is pretty willing to film but i dont know if he wants to film THAT much

Anonymous said...

Wawa is possibly my favorite store on the planet.
At least my favorite convenience store, if nothing else. But anyway, for anyone interested, you can check out the famous 2 Foot Hoagie right here:

http://www.wawa.com/foodchoices/food-hoagies.asp

It's the one in the back.

Anonymous said...

There are documentaries about Sonya Thomas in Wing Bowl 13 and "Chili Dawg" in Wing Bowl 10 on youtube

http://youtube.com/results?search_query=%22wing+bowl%22&search=Search

Dave S. said...

Word on the UEPa posse. We'd walk ahead of you handing out shoofly pie, pierogies, Yueng Ling beer and other PA delicacies to throngs of hungry fans.

This stunt sounds awesome and hard too. It would be a crime not to film this. It would be in WIP's best interest to tape all of these stunts and post them on thier website as web traffic driver.

GOOD LUCK!

Anonymous said...

Damn birdy, that's a helluva sandwich!! Of course the one in the picture looks loaded. Taking that down, plus 1/2 gallon of lemonade would be a feat in any amount of time.

Also, I feel compelled to mention the greatness that is Sheetz in any post involving convenience stores. Their food is excellent. I understand they're expsnding in the eastern part of PA, so look out, Wawa.

Anonymous said...

I saw 18 comments...and thought what the heck....

You asked "Is that all you need?" Well obviously I don't understand the competitive eating competitions...

I do know that you have support from a fellow blogger - but uh, the others seemed concerned, so ...could you not harm yourself in the process.

I like your blog too much.

Selfish bitch that I am.

Hugs.

Anonymous said...

I saw 18 comments...and thought what the heck....

You asked "Is that all you need?" Well obviously I don't understand the competitive eating competitions...

I do know that you have support from a fellow blogger - but uh, the others seemed concerned, so ...could you not harm yourself in the process.

I like your blog too much.

Selfish bitch that I am.

Hugs.

Anonymous said...

Good luck with that and kick some ass while you're at it.

-pat b

steakbellie said...

Spacedock, Brother!!!!