Tuesday, October 17, 2006

My little brother is in Africa.


Joe
Originally uploaded by steakbellie.
He's a Highway Engineer and his wife is a Medical Student. They live very very busy lives in New Jersey. It's ok that he's on the other side of the world, because I never see him anyway and he might as well do something interesting if he's not gonna be hanging out with me and his nephews.

Through a crazy set of opportunities, he's spending three weeks vacation helping build mudhuts and she's working in a Medical Clinic. I think they are doing Missionary work also, and this may be a trial balloon to become Missionaries in the future.

Through the miracle of GoogleEarth you can see where he is right now:

I heard thirdhand that somebody tried to give him a chicken. So if you can zoom in and see a white guy with a chicken, thats probably him.

What a wonderful interuption for their lives though...I'll hear all about it on Thanksgiving!

5 comments:

Chris the Hippie said...

Cool! My uncle's been living in Malawi (just west of Mozambique) for the last 20 years or so... He started out as a Peace Corps volunteer and just sort of stayed there after his year was over. He's done some neat things.

Tell your brother to tell my uncle "Hi."

Unknown said...

Can we deep fry that same chicken for Thanksgiving??? I hear they are all free range chickens over there...By the way, that's my way of inviting my self to Thanksgiving this year, I'm rolling solo again.

Anonymous said...

The closest I've ever come to having family overseas like that is my sister's friend was a missionary on the island of TRUK for a couple years.

I hope his stories live up to your expectations on Thanksgiving!

steakbellie said...

doesnt look too bad from space, but I'm curious what the reality is.

Where is TRUK????

Gonna hafta Google-Earth it!

ArtieLange said...

I've been doing missionary work at Dellilah's Den for the past 10 years. It is a thankless job and I've had to endure some serious chaffing and groin burn. Nonetheless, I have found some way to endure. They are, after all, my flock, and I love them all.