Friday, October 27, 2006

A Deficeit in the Economy of Love

The Professional Marketers stand on the street corners. In the summers they use college girls on vacation, but in the cold, it's just a guy.

Todays guy has a beautiful embroidered windbreaker that says something like "International Childrens Fund" and he's a holding a notebook full of mournful photos that have artfully been put together. Tomorrow he may be wearing a purple jacket that says "World Wildlife Fund". It has a Zebra and a Koala on it.

These people are very effective, and I often see them talking to people out of their checkbooks. The college girls are extrememly good getting the middle age working suits to stop to hear their sad story. It's funny to watch, but I typically just say 'no-thankyou' and keep going.

My problem with these people is that a very very small percentage of the money they collect actually goes to the charity. They dont work for the Charity directly, so they dont have to give it all. These companies have administrative costs to pay first, and then can take whatever profit they choose on top of that. We used to get calls at the house from people like this and I'd keep asking them what percentage actually goes to the charity over and over until they hung up.

Todays guys steps right into the stream of walking commuters and singles me out with direct eye contact. He's four steps from me and in my way.

With a keen smile he starts his rehearsed speech with
"Excuse me Sir, Would you like too..."
Without a thought or slowed step, I spit my words through gritted teeth and a jutted jaw...
"I HATE you..."
It comes out beautifully and I am leaning forward on these last two steps between us. I have not slowed at all.

I'm sure he hears alot of things, but I dont think he expected this. I watch his whitened body implode upon itself and shrink away almost into nothing.

Suddenly he is out of my way and gone.

I'm still laughing.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thats awesome.
I also use "No, Thank You" intentionally wrong, since it seems polite. For example, when bums on the street ask me for money or when evangelicals ask me if I'm ready for the second coming.

steakbellie said...

Even though I consider them unethical, I usually allow these guys one 'no thankyou' and then I move on. Once or twice they have tried to followup and I've gotten nasty.

This guy got it on the first try so in some ways, he won. I've been dieing to say something like that, and it just came out without even thinking today. I let my mood get the bets of me, and passed it onto him.

I feel better.

ARE you ready for the second coming?

katrocket said...

i had a similar run-in with a child-saver while on vacation in Chicago last May. I shrugged and replied to him in rapid, animated french. Then in english (with a heavy french accent)I told him to forget the fucking children, I need saving too. He backed right off.

Chris the Hippie said...

My wife often pretends she can't speak English. German (especially the dialect she speaks) sounds angry and rude at the best of times...