Friday, August 18, 2006

I'm Ass-Deep in Tomatos

The garden has been an awesome success this year at least as far as Basil & Tomatos are concerned. I'm eating 3-5 large tomatos a day but it cannot dent the massive output of those 4 plants. Hot weather and good soil prep made them so sweet, I can never go back to those store bought hydroponic ones. I've been giving bags and bags away to the neighbors to try to keep up.

Cilantro? Dead
Garlic Chives? Dead
Hot Peppers? My first year of poor results. The plants are large and healthy, but no peppers.
Oregano? Got abit overgrown from everything around it...still time to save it
Eggplant? Coming along just fine....

4 comments:

katrocket said...

wow! I'm envious of your garden, even if stuff's dead. I live 6 floors off the ground so I haven't really attempted container vegetable gardening - seems like a lotta work. The little old Italian bachelor next door shares his abundant crop with me every summer, and I give him some herbs. I just grow flowers and about a dozen herbs - my spearmint is omnipotentent and choking everything in its path, but I can't destroy the cruel Herb God. I need it for mojitos.

gerberdaisy said...

as hard as i try i cannot make a decent mojito- help!!!!

katrocket said...

Well GD - I'm your girl! You're the third person this week who's asked for mojito lessons, so I posted my own Mojito 101 for ya! Enjoy!

steakbellie said...

This is my sixth year of growing a garden from seed. The biggest thing I learned is dont mess with it. Other than spending alot of time preparing the soil, dont water it unless there's a draught. Dont fertilize it other than the cow manue I mix in the spring. My plants are 2x everybody elses...funny.