Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Ask Dr Z

Have you seen the new GM commercials? Apparently the Chairman is German, and they have paraded him around answering school kids questions with a thick German Accent.

It's fine that he's German, but I imagine there is a huge section of middle America that says thing like 'love it or leave it' and buy American car Brands faithfully without realizing that they are actually made in Canada or Mexico. This might be alittle hard for them to take.

He also comes accross as human and nice like your Grandpa....or at least someone elses nice Grandpa. It's toooo much. I have a hard time believe that someone that casual can make it to Chairman of GM with being a total prick. Total disconnect. Doesnt make me any more interested in the product and actually makes me suspicious....

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's also shitty timing, since VW has been using that "Velcome to Deutchland" thing with that guy who "unpimps zee auto."

Chris the Hippie said...

I alvays kinda vanted a Volkswagon until they came out with those goofy commercials.

I take a lot of crap from people who own Harleys 'cause I have a Kawasaki. (My own personal opinion is that they have engine envy - my Kaw is bigger than a Harley.) They get all sorts of upset when I point out that part for part my Kawasaki is more American than their Harley (most Harley parts are made in Taiwan or someplace like that). AND, the Kawasaki factory that makes big-azz bikes like mine lives in Missouri. American parts assembled in America. Hmmm... But they still look down on me for riding a "rice burner." (They kinda remind me of Republicans that way - the facts don't matter as long as they can shout louder than I can.)

Of course, I'd be upset, too, if I spent $25k on a bike only to have some hippie jump up and tell me his $10k bike is better...

katrocket said...

I don't know if you've ever had the pleasure of doing business overseas, but it's a whole different scene, especially when it comes to leadership. Europeans broker in REAL commodities like knowledge, innovation, and ideas. American executives deal more in bullshit, cover-ups, asskissing, and media puppetry.

But Dr. Z may not be an angel. An ad agency is paid very handsomely to make him look good. Who knows how many have suffered at his hand?

I dunno but I'd move to Germany tomorrow if I could.

steakbellie said...

Chris,
I remember years ago (I think it was Michael Moore's TV Nation) he tried to find the most American made car (parts and Assembly) at that time it was a Toyota Corrolla made in like Tennesee. The lines are so blurred on whats American made anymore....

Kat,
Did you see that guy? You KNOW there's some freaky shit going on in his private LearJet on a Sat nite!!!!!

katrocket said...

Yeah, I have seen Dr Z - he's too charmingly media-perfect, so I was certain he was just an actor. I did some research after reading your post, and discovered he's the real deal. I was shocked! I was almost positive that Chrysler's ad agency had ripped off the nerdy guy from the IKEA commercials!

I'll hop on his LearJet anyday!