Tuesday, June 13, 2006

The Night Rider Watches Over Us-
Red Letter Edition

"GOOD MORNING PEOPLE OF PHILIADELPHIA....I AM THE NIGHT RIDER."
The Night Rider is yelling this into the silent train car. The doors have just closed, they always wait for the doors to close before they start.

All of the commuters take a quick look and determine he isnt holding a gun, I keep looking into him, I want to hear what he has to say.

"I RIDE THE TRAINS AND BUSES ALL NIGHT TO KEEP THEM SAFE. SINCE I STARTED THIS PROGRAM SEVERAL YEARS AGO, THINGS HAVE IMPROVED QUITE ABIT"

His voice is hoarse and it's believable that he's been yelling into packed traincars all night. The Night Rider has a baggy grey suit on with a satain yellow shirt pulled out. He's got greasy brown skin, and yellowish eyes. Eyes that have seen quite abit of alcohol this morning. I'm not in a judging mood because frankly, I'm still drunk from the night before as well. I wonder if he buys a monthly pass or just a single day and never leaves.

"I AM CURRENTLY HEADED TO CITY HALL. THEY ARE GOING TO APPOINT ME MAYOR AND CHIEF OF POLICE....THEY ARE ALSO GOING TO MAKE ME HITLER" At the mention of Hitler, all of the good citizens do a visual recheck for weapons."THERE ARE PLENTY OF KIDS IN THIS CITY THAT ARE IN TROUBLE, AND THE NIGHT RIDER IS LOOKING OUT FOR THEM. IF YOU HOOCHY GIRLS DONT WANT TO GET PREGNANT, YOU SHOULD KEEP THE OVEN DOOR SHUT. HARRISBURG CANT HELP YOU, WE NEED TO WORK TOGETHER."

At the next stop, he holds the doors open and assists an old lady onto the train with the authority of someone who works for SEPTA. ""PLEASE STEP ABOARD, AND WATCH THE DOORS"

The doors close and the newcomers are momentarily startled at his pronouncement.
"GOOD MORNING PEOPLE OF PHILIADELPHIA....I AM THE NIGHT RIDER. I RIDE THE TRAINS AND BUSES ALL NIGHT TO KEEP THEM SAFE. SINCE I STARTED THIS PROGRAM SEVERAL YEARS AGO, THINGS HAVE IMPROVED QUITE ABIT" They check for weapons, then ignore him like everybody else.

Not me, I keep watching him, I think he may be onto something.....

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you think that they're going to make him Hitler in effort to demonize and discredit him...or is the post of Hitler slang for broad dictatorial powers?

katrocket said...

The Knight Rider that watches over me has a cool red bar light on his nose and can't fit thru a train door.

steakbellie said...

Birdy,
i think he meant it in a law and order kind of way, like he was gonna whip this city into shape.

Kat,
You have yours and now we have ours....

Szg,
lets not be silly, now...The Night Rider is missing all of his from teeth and I clearly have all of mine...
:)

Anonymous said...

I would like to meet the Night Rider. You know, sort of shadow him for a few days to get inside his head and spend a few lonely nights with him, walking the mean streets of Philly. He's got dark and painful stories to tell, I'm sure of that.

Then we would have a cheesesteak at Pat's and talk about the Phil's wildcard hopes.

steakbellie said...

Thats gay

You KNOW why we're both drunk....

ArtieLange said...

What was David Hasselhoff doing in Philadelphia and where was Kit?