Friday, June 09, 2006

"and you said that only proves that I'm insane.."

You know that feeling you get when you've been away on vacation, and you go pick up your dog from the kennel? It's a moment of elation when that three-legged killer comes out from the back room with his nails clipped and fur washed. You realize just how much you love that dog and how much you've his missed barked greetings.

Thats how I felt. My bike broke while I was riding into work the other day. One of the spokes snapped and the wheel went out of true. I had to leave it in a Center City bike shop with the snobby mechanic that hates me for a few days and take the train home.

I picked it up yesterday at lunch and when the girl brought it out from the back room I had the biggest fucking grin, and had to surpress saying 'There's my baby....'

After work it had begun to rain, in fact it was pouring and dark. Once you are commited to the idea of getting wet, riding in the rain can be fun. Some care has to be taken with stopping, but the ride itself is refreshing. It makes me think of those days riding through South Dakota, Ohio and Johnstown PA.

I caught up with a 20 year old bike messenger with a huge mohawk on his way home and we raced from stoplight to stoplight all the way out of the city. It was the best part of my day, I could releash all of my agression into those pedals and not have to smile at anyone or pretend to care....it's like I'm almost a man again for those 45 minutes and not some suburban meat conglomeration....I'm about to bike home again now and I cant wait.....grrrrr

4 comments:

Chris the Hippie said...

You make me want to go buy a bike. Bicycle, that is.

I take my bike (motorcycle, that is) to the shop every fall and have it put in storage 'cause someone stole my garage door a few years ago and I can't afford a new one. Every spring I go pick it up, and every year the mechanic says, "Man, you don't have to cry about it..." I get all misty-eyed seeing Old Dusty after a three or four month hiatus.

My word verification is "crkok." I giggled like a little schoolboy and I don't know why.

Anonymous said...

You're quoting Billy Joel lyrics!
I don't even know you anymore.

Anonymous said...

Birdy KNEW they were BJ lyrics- ha!
Unfortunately, I know you both...
A bike messenger with a mohawk - what are the odds?
Welcome back, bikey! I'll teach you to true when i come out.
:)

steakbellie said...

Chris,
Every guy can find an object to love. Birdy loves his Billy Joel Collection.

Sang
Colombia has produced some of the greatest mountain climbers in bicycling, I imagine SanFran could too!