Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Sweetbriar Drive


My Mom wrote the words 'Evel Kenivel" on a paper plate with a smelly green marker and taped it to the garage door window. With such advertising I was certain people would show up any minute with tv cameras.

The sky was blue
The summer lasted forever
The moon only came out at night

My next door neighbor and his sister are watching alongside my driveway as I lean a 2x4 board against a chair. I sit on my red tricycle paitiently waiting and wishing I had a crash helmet like he wears on TV.

I have a towel pinned to my shirt like a cape. This is going to be big.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

One time I climbed up onto the boat in our yard with my garbage bag parachute, took a deep breath, and stepped off. I was hopeful I'd catch an updraft and float around for a few seconds, maybe even fly over the ocean for a few more. I'd return home and explain to my mother where I had been all that time. I did neither. I smashed to the gravel and onto my ass, scraping my knees. I probably cried.

I loved my Evel Knievel van that converted into a ramp with the motocycle. I'd crank that sucker up and let him fly. He'd crash onto the floor and smack into the wall, just like on tv. He kept coming back, year after year on ABC.

It's most likely because of him that we thought we were invincible.

steakbellie said...

Wow, I had the dragster, it was pretty uncommon. The front wells could be extended way out. It had a little plastic parachute that would pop out the back after it went so many feet.

Unlike the motorcycle and the crash car, it didnt come with the figure, so I never had Evel to put in there.

I wonder if I go buy the figure off ebay if I will finally be whole?

I broke a bunch of umbrellas jumping off things. Maybe I need to invent an umbrella that kids can use as a parachute that wont turn inside out.