Thursday, May 04, 2006

a momentary observer

I am a full city block ahead of the SEPTA bus that is trying to kill me. Four times over ten blocks the driver has accelarated past me to cut me off at his busstop. I have caught several good breaks at redlights, and I'm confident the bus wont be able to catch/kill me today.

All of my joints and muscles are warm and my thoughts have simplified from chatter to Satori. I pedal my bike and react to the environment i'm presented. I'm anticipating without thought, it's a quiet wonderful feeling to have that silence within.

The sunshine is very yellow, and makes the burned out row homes of west Philadelphia seem almost warm. Spring is upon us and green is everywhere from the cracks in the Concrete to the abandoned lots. Hours from now these roads will radiate heat and the ground air will be dry, but for now it is wonderfully cool. I bring my own heat.

An enourmous black woman is standing on the next corner screaming into a cellphone. She is surrounded by four young children who are dressed for school with backpacks. I slow my speed slightly and check for traffic in the crossing. A little boy who must only be six is the only one who even notices me and he smiles. I smile back and give him the nod.

I sprint away.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

El patron and the peloton all wrapped in one. Ride like the wind, Steakbellie, ride like the wind.