Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Some Reality


15 of 16
Originally uploaded by steakbellie.
As you all are probably sick of hearing about, I'm training for the Nathans Philly Qualifier on Memorial Day. There are like 20 Qualifiers around the country, and the winner of each is sent to Coney Island on the 4th of July to compete against each other and International opponents.

My goal is to do "The Duece". 20 Nathans's Hotdogs and Buns (HDB's) in 12 minutes. I believe only 32 people have ever done this in the last 90 years. Of the top 50 ranked current eaters, most have never done it and top out in the high teens. It's the equivelent of running a 4 minute mile.

So most of the Regional Qualifiers can be Won if you can eat 20.

There are 5 people on the planet who have eaten more than 30. Two of them are in Japan, and I read this morning that another two plan on coming to the Philly Qualifier.

They cant stop me from eating 20, but I realized that the truth is that I want to win. I want to represent Philadelphia on July 4th in Coney Island, I want to be at that Final Table eating with the best in the world in my Kilt.

All of the Qualifiers are full and I only signed up for this one....so I really dont have any choice but to train like mad and control what is in my small realm of control.

I was ready to fight for this, but now it feels like there's a bully waiting for me after school...A 99lbs smiling Korean Woman Bully. She wants to eat my lunch.

The only way out is through.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

"It's the equivelent of running a 4 minute mile." - um...yeah, except one is healthy, builds muscle and improves your cardiovascualr system. ;)

steakbellie said...

you miss the point. The 20 dog barrier is the standard people weigh themselves against just like the 4 minute mile.

Of course it's not the same....duh!

Anonymous said...

Defensive?
I think you might be taking me a bit too seriously here.

steakbellie said...

lol

steakbellie said...

liar.