Friday, May 19, 2006

Showing Up


joey chestnut
Originally uploaded by steakbellie.
The hardest part about riding a bicycle accross the country is getting on the plane. Once you're on that plane to Seatle, the handwringing and talking and (god) thinking has ended, and you can finally start doing and stop worring about doing. Once you show up at that ticket counter, you have overcome the lies and sabotauge that you do to yourself. You've overcome other peoples expectations for you to fail to show up.

Sure you still have to ride that bicycle back over mountains and desert and get hailed on and run off the road by a logging truck....and you'll probably cry a few times, but the hard part is showing up and getting on that plane. The rest will take care of itself like a rock rolling downhill...a bumpy hill

I'm at that point now with the hotdog contest. I'm done training. I'll probably have two hotdogs tomorrow in like ten minuutes, but they will have brown mustard on them and I'll be smiling and talking with my mouth full.

There's nothing left to do but show up.
This week I'm free to relax as if the contest is over. I can ride my bicycle in the rain or drink milk right out of the carton (assuming nobody here snitches to my wife)

I heard some AWESOME news this morning and I couldnt be more jazzed.

The guy who won this years Wingbowl, Joey Chestnut (who is one of 3 Americans ever to eat 30 HotDogs) ate FIFTY hotdogs and buns in 12 minutes at the Las Vegas Qualifier yesterday. He added 20 Hotdogs to his count over last year!

I've been in awe all day. If he can add twenty, then I can eat twenty. I have the capacity, I just need the voracity to do it in 12 minutes. I'm trained, I just need to show up!

The BIGGER thing is that this sets up a showdown at the Finals in Coney Island on July 4th. Joey Chestnut is going to try to beat Kobyashi who has never been outeaten!!!!!!(he's the little Japanese that always blows everyone away)

The event is going to be covered Live on ESPN!

5 comments:

gerberdaisy said...

You've been drinking milk out of the carton!!!!!!!!

steakbellie said...

Thanks Sangroncito!!!!

No Hon, I'd never do THAT!!!!!!!
:)

ArtieLange said...

Too bad you won't be able to see the contest on ESPN since you will be competing against those sissies.

steakbellie said...

That's what I'm talking about!!!!

katrocket said...

Brother Bellie - I've been on vacation for a week and I'm not ashamed to admit I missed your blog, even though I realize this makes me out to be kinda pathetic.

Can you give me the date & time for the ESPN coverage? We can't get ESPN thru regular cable in Canada, but my best bud has got satellite TV, so I wanna know what time I have to break his door down.