Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Have we poisoned reality with Movies?

We're all deeply involved in the details coming out of Virginia Tech. It seems every news broadcast and magazine spared no expence airlifting their best-looking onto the campus for an exclusive tell all. Every 15 minutes they will pick some co-ed from the pool and force them to relieve their grief and horror before us.

My kids very matter of factly wanted to know why no-one was able to overcome the shooter from behind. Why no-one was able to distract the shooter while someone else struck him with a chair or a karate-chop. "How about when he was re-loading?"

They dont know the paralysis and desperation of that kind of event, and thankfully neither do I. I tried to explain it to them as I imagined it. I dont know how my description could possibly compete with 13 years of heros with bullet wounds fighting off ninjas in black.

The reality is just so horrifying.

No comments: